New 90 Gallon - Python or No Python Siphon?

Ketamine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Factoria, WA
I'd go insane without my Python. I've got a really long hose so I can maintain all the aquariums in the house without disconnecting it.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Pytho definitly over buckets or at least a drinking water safe hose.Ive stopped using the pump,I drain out the door to my shrubs or into the toilet.
I couldnt imagine going back to buckets I do 500+g a week in waterchanges:nilly:

smmfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
NEBRASKA
Since getting my Python I will never go back to using buckets. My python is 100 ft. long so it reaches every tank in the house including the one downstairs. I just hook to the sink faucet drain and gravel vac and then fill 'er up.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
rkc772;673939; said:
you're right... but i hate getting sick just because of water change.:D

Self starting gravity fed syphons are really easy to use, more powerful than Pythons, and a lot cheaper.

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
Wow you folks are all over this...Thank you! I take it the 75ft works as well as the shorter ones too huh? I'd probably try siphoning out with something else and use the python for filling only.

OK 2 more questions:

1. How do you dry it out? I get some dark stuff (mold?) inside the small siphon I use on my 30 gallon cause it never dries completely. It stays kinda moist inside when its coiled up. No real good way to hang it straight up n down uncoiled. Ideas?

2. Is it really OK to add "start right" in the tank as it fills instead of in a bucket before pouring into the tank? The web site says to add treatment chems to the water stream...sounds risky. I don't wana kill my bacteria with chlorine in the tap water.

THX!!

rkc772

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Southern California 91744
my 75ft python has mold everywhere in the inner tube... i don't mind it. as long as i use it to drain first before filling it up. Basically my concept is to wash the inner linning when i drain water and fill it up with the same hose. never had any problem. i use mine at least 2-3x a week. and it was my fault when i left it with water inside, that's when it started to really get moldy.

to address you second question, i usually fill the tank straight from tap and treat the whole tank. I just estimate the amount of water that has gone in and pour the treatement according to the new water. I would say pour the "start right" while your filling. no need to worry what matters is treating the new water and not the old one. no effect if you treat the old one too. But since i got my whole house filter now, i do not need to put any treatments.. all traight tap and no problem, even with 80-85% waterchange. I use stress coat before and another brand (forgot the name-also well known).

just keep in mind one thing.. make sure you put the water slow specially it is cold weather right now... just don't have a sudden drop on temp.:D and it works good for you since if it overfill ( i wish it won't) it will not be a sudden pour of so much water... just do things one at a time, do not leave the tank unattended and if you do.. put an alarm on your cell phone every 10 mins to remind you that you're filling you tank.:D lucky for me my floor is tiles and on my big one its on wood and never had any overfill.:D

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
OK. "Start right" is a water treatment by JUNGLE brand. I treat all my tanks with it during water changes. Supposed to immediately neutralized chlorine and other chems in the tap water. works good for me

So its not necessary to dry it? Just use it to siphon water out as a rinse method huh? Interesting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store