New 9x4x2 tank build starts in the morning - finally!!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Sorry, in fact if I block the holes the wier drains but I am sure your solution is to drill a bigger hole, the reason the bigger hole is that it allows more air to flow with more water. I am sure this will help the problem.

Thanks Toby, thought this to be the case. I have tried larger holes over the week end ( about 1/4 inch) and the weirs filled too high. I have put tape over them now and on on i pierced the tape with a pin and it runs perfect. On the other i have ended up needing to put airline down it and controlling it with a air line valve as it did not seem to matter what size hole i coul not get it to flo good. But even though i have done this i can't turn on the second pump with out a flood! So annoying, think i am going to have to give in to the fact that my pumps are too strong and change them.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
The grates are likely having a hugely adverse affect. Find another way to keep fish out of the sump.
Thought as much BUT they are glued in and i can not easily get at them to change them, the only part i did not glue was the cap. :irked:

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Well i have tried everything and can not run both pumps, one on each return as they are too strong. I have two 9000ltr pumps on a 1800 ltr tank, so i thought the two pumps would give me 10x turn over an hour but my drains can't handle it. I have tried what was suggested which was T off the pumps. This works on running one pump but tried it on the other at the week end and i end up with so much flow returned to the sump that it is like a bubble bath in there! I have tried mesing with the drains but can't get them to flow any faster. I give up now. Very annoying as i was convinced ading the T to the second pump would work. Gues my only option now is to change my pumps for smaller. I am thinking of getting two 4000ltr pumps which will turn the tank over around 7 and a half times an hour, hopefully they won't be too strong. I am contacting Aquamedic to see if i can either throttle back on the return of the 9000ltr ones with a ball valve or fit a dimmer switch to them so the wattage is reuced therefore dropping the ltr per hour. Just don't know what else to do now. At least the tank is up and running on one pump for now, but very frustrating after all the hard work it has taken.

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
dimmer switch might work but make sure you use one that can handle inductive loads, also a 110v transformer might work?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I would use the return as a drain and use a return over the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Someone already suggested that and i have been giving it a lot of thought. The other return tahat does not have the pump actually running on it but is connected is already acting as a syphon and the whole system is running better like this so i am thinking that using both returns as drains might actually work. I got nothing to lose now as the tank is full of fish and i am up against it! Just ordered all the plumbing to turn both returns into Durso stand pipes and put returns over the top of the tank. Won't look as tidy as i originally planned but if it works i am past caring to be honest. I just want the system to be up and running as i originally specked it which was x10 volume turn over per hour. If this does not work i will have to give in and by smaller pumps which will set me back another 300 pound versus the 50 pound i just spent on extra pipe work. Hopefully the pipe work will be here for the weekend so i will update you all on Sunday with some good news (I hope!!!)

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
You could just run the one pump and either sell the other or keeps spare. 10x turnover is nothing but a number, as long as water parameters are good it doesn't matter if you have 0.5 turnover or 50 x turnover...most of it is vanity and ignorance anyway. Mine were fine on 4x for two years. If you are producing nitrate then all is good.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
10x turn over will keep the tank looking really clean though. Great work keep it up and I think this is the best option for you as well. I know with reeflo pumps you can put a valve after the pump to throttle them back a bit they say it will not damage the pump at all. But more flow is better.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
There is some who believe a slower turnover is better as the water has longer contact time with the BB. Personally I lean towards this theory. Like Toby said as long as water params are good. I know I am under 10x and anyone who has seen my pics and vids can see how clean/clear my water is. And the params are just as good.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
There is some who believe a slower turnover is better as the water has longer contact time with the BB. Personally I lean towards this theory. Like Toby said as long as water params are good. I know I am under 10x and anyone who has seen my pics and vids can see how clean/clear my water is. And the params are just as good.
tend to agree with both of you and yes my water perams are good BUT i only have one 9000ltr per hour pump running at the moment and even that one is T'd back to the sump so probably only pushing somthing like 4000tr per hour through the tank so i am probably only getting about 3 times an hour turn over. Want to get this better if i can plus i have one return just sat in the right hand weir that is redundant so i may as well turn this into nother durso drain and see what i get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store