New addition / parasite question

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Hey Guys,

Got my first new poly in a while after upgrading my tank from a 65g to 75g footprint and getting back in to the hobby after a few years not quite out of it, but wasn't very active with maintenance/interest. Shame on me.

We recently bought a house and I had room to go a little bigger on tank (was going to go 125g but couldn't find one and got a killer deal on a 75g) and today ran across this nice retropinnis. Never had one before, but he had to come home with me! He's maybe a half inch longer than my Delhezi but about the same head width. I'd estimate 6.5-7".

Appeared to me in the shop that he may have some parasites/flukes maybe on his head. Fish store gave me a slight discount and even threw in some meds which was nice of them. Giving a course of Praziquel and Metronidazole during his quarantine - can you guys tell from the pic what it may be and if I'm going the right route on medication? Also open to any other preventative QT advice for in the future. Want to add a mokelembembe or Palmas eventually and would like to make sure I'm fully prepared, this retro just kind of fell in to my lap!

Few pics of the little guy both in the LFS & in the ol QT tank:

Retro1.png

Retro2.png

Retro3.png

Attachments

Reactions: tlindsey

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
31 Views and no possible response on if I've properly ID'ed the parasite issue and I'm taking the proper steps to fix it? :popcorn:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like raised areas of skin. Hard to say if it’s external parasite.

Reactions: tlindsey

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
That thread is awesome tlindsey but I can’t seem to find consistent pictures of the worms anywhere.. I’ve seen the ones that look like black hair but nothing that quite matches this.

For what its worth he’s been in the medicated QT tank for around 16 hours and the raised areas no longer appear 3 dimensional, there is some discoloration where some of the larger spots were however... hopefully by the end of the meds I’ll have a better feel for how he’s doing

Reactions: Jafar P Arab

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
Hey Guys,

Got my first new poly in a while after upgrading my tank from a 65g to 75g footprint and getting back in to the hobby after a few years not quite out of it, but wasn't very active with maintenance/interest. Shame on me.

We recently bought a house and I had room to go a little bigger on tank (was going to go 125g but couldn't find one and got a killer deal on a 75g) and today ran across this nice retropinnis. Never had one before, but he had to come home with me! He's maybe a half inch longer than my Delhezi but about the same head width. I'd estimate 6.5-7".

Appeared to me in the shop that he may have some parasites/flukes maybe on his head. Fish store gave me a slight discount and even threw in some meds which was nice of them. Giving a course of Praziquel and Metronidazole during his quarantine - can you guys tell from the pic what it may be and if I'm going the right route on medication? Also open to any other preventative QT advice for in the future. Want to add a mokelembembe or Palmas eventually and would like to make sure I'm fully prepared, this retro just kind of fell in to my lap!

Few pics of the little guy both in the LFS & in the ol QT tank:

View attachment 1449004

View attachment 1449005

View attachment 1449006
Good color and congrats

Reactions: NCStateFisher
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store