New Aquarium - Bare Bottom? Brace?

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
So I just got a 65G Tall and it does not have an aquarium brace in the middle. The dimensions are about 3ftx15inx2.5ft. LxWxH. The Question: Can I run it bare bottom? Do I need an Aquarium Brace to support the weight of the water or does its tallness account for it?

If I run a bare bottom how can I keep the beneficial bacteria inside the tank?

20180127_172047.jpg

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
I would also appreciate some decor recommendations and ideas say if I was keeping a solo male JD? and a couple bottom dwelling guys? I'm not sure what south American cichlids truly appreciate as they hardly ever dig and hide when they mature.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Can I run it bare bottom?
Of course.

Do I need an Aquarium Brace to support the weight of the water or does its tallness account for it?
What do you mean "Does its tallness account for it?" Height doesn't decrease the need for a brace. It increases it. What is the thickness of the glass? That's a very tall tank to not have a center brace. I'm suspicious that it's not a fish tank, but something more like a terrarium.

You don't. That's what the bio media in your filters is for.

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
Of course.

What do you mean "Does its tallness account for it?" Height doesn't decrease the need for a brace. It increases it. What is the thickness of the glass? That's a very tall tank to not have a center brace. I'm suspicious that it's not a fish tank, but something more like a terrarium.

You don't. That's what the bio media in your filters is for.
I've filled it with water and let it sit, and it did fine. Around it is actually laminate wood which is pressurized so perhaps it should hold up fine over an extended period of time? Either way I have time to add an aquarium brace, but I am quite sure it is a fish tank because of the lid and how it leaves the exact same spacing for hanging filters and heaters. Also the back has holes in it for power and wires similar to many fish tank stands I've seen (idk if reptile stands typically include them).

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
So I just got a 65G Tall and it does not have an aquarium brace in the middle. The dimensions are about 3ftx15inx2.5ft. LxWxH. The Question: Can I run it bare bottom? Do I need an Aquarium Brace to support the weight of the water or does its tallness account for it?

View attachment 1296274
The majority of your beneficial bacteria will be in your filter media. The recommendation to rinse the media in tank water instead of tap water is to prevent die off the beneficial bacteria by chlorinated water. So no worries about going bare bottom. Since you plan on going bare bottom, consider extending your filter uptakes to just off the floor. The low uptakes will pick up a lot of debris.

Reactions: Drstrangelove
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store