New baby Azul peacock bass

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
So far the little guy is only eating blood worms and he’s living with a 2 inch indo datnoid and a 2.5 inch red flag tail , I’m about to try the starvation method to get them to accept pellets , hopefully the bass and dat aren’t too stubborn lol

Reactions: BigShawn

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Let him get settled in more and some more meat on him. Try live earth worms .Rence them off in a net then chop up to bite size and rence again to get rid of the dirt and slime the little pieces of worm will wiggle and they should eat them.
My go to food for small bass . Then you finger feed him the worms after he's eating them like it's his last meal. And after he's eating from your hand drop in a pellet . Read the sticky on pellet training. Starving small fish stunts them. . Good luck

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Let him get settled in more and some more meat on him. Try live earth worms .Rence them off in a net then chop up to bite size and rence again to get rid of the dirt and slime the little pieces of worm will wiggle and they should eat them.
My go to food for small bass . Then you finger feed him the worms after he's eating them like it's his last meal. And after he's eating from your hand drop in a pellet . Read the sticky on pellet training. Starving small fish stunts them. . Good luck
So far I’ve tried tricking him into eating pellets by soaking his pellets in blood worm and shrimp juices and letting it dry into the pellets, still won’t eat them, I think as long as he has the blood worms as an option he’ll never accept the pellets, as for worms hard to get some where I am it’s the beginning of winter here so the earth is pretty cold already lol I agree that starving the bass will stunt the growth temporarily but he’ll pick up the size later in life, with most of my other bass I tried to be patient and trick them into eating pellets by mixing there food with all kinds of stuff from shrimp to tilapia to bloodworms but in the end starving is usually the only way to go , by the end of the week they usually give in ( well my experience at least from raising a batch of kelberi bass a few years ago)

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
So abit if bad luck, I went to turn off my aquarium lights last night to realize the azul had like a slime coat on his body almost like white fungus pieces on various parts of his body, although no change in attitude or personality, anyways I set up a 10 gallon hospital tank and went out and bought some lifeguard fizzing medicine tablets by jungle brand, says it treats fungus and things like this, treatment should be done by end of this week hoping it works out well

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Be sure to use plenty of cycled media setting up that qt tank. If you have a stalled cycle it could do more damage then whatever your trying treat and do your fish in. Monitor your parameters closely over the next week.

Reactions: Tony A.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Be sure to use plenty of cycled media setting up that qt tank. If you have a stalled cycle it could do more damage then whatever your trying treat and do your fish in. Monitor your parameters closely over the next week.
The 5 gallon quarantine tank was set up with the water from another established tank I have, I was too afraid to start fresh with new water

Reactions: Tony A.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Just an update the medicine worked he’s fine and back in his original tank, also I starved him for about 12 days and now he’s finally accepting pellets

Reactions: BigShawn

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
Nice job. But keep in mind for future reference, Never starve a bass under 4". Can effect its growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store