New Blue Dolphin Acclimation

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
So, we bought a new blue dolphin (we presume female, but it's so hard to tell) and a new yellow lab for our tank.

We purposefully got a blue dolphin the size of our other 3 in hopes that it might acclimate better. The other 3 blue dolphins have grown up from very young juveniles for almost 2 years.

The new one is often off by itself. The other blue dolphins are definitely chasing it. One blue dolphin in particular. We noticed it has a bite on it's lip. It's not eating very well and was hiding in a cave after feeding this morning,

We moved everything around the tank and the whole nine yards when we put the new fish in. I know it's hard to introduce anything since the tank is more established.

However, was looking for any possible advice on getting this fish more comfortable instead of it dying on us. It has been in the tank for a week now.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Could try putting a divider in for awhile to let them get used to each other. Another option might be to take the group of three out of the tank for a couple hours and split them up in different buckets... this might help hit the reset button on their current social hierarchy and make all four more amenable to establishing a new social order in your tank.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Some very good suggestions to try, but often once a fish is targeted it can become near impossible to do much other than wait things out. I have an adult group of C. moorii, and at times even the females will chase and nip among themselves. Hopefully things settle down soon for you. Good luck.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
So, we bought a new blue dolphin (we presume female, but it's so hard to tell) and a new yellow lab for our tank.

We purposefully got a blue dolphin the size of our other 3 in hopes that it might acclimate better. The other 3 blue dolphins have grown up from very young juveniles for almost 2 years.

The new one is often off by itself. The other blue dolphins are definitely chasing it. One blue dolphin in particular. We noticed it has a bite on it's lip. It's not eating very well and was hiding in a cave after feeding this morning,

We moved everything around the tank and the whole nine yards when we put the new fish in. I know it's hard to introduce anything since the tank is more established.

However, was looking for any possible advice on getting this fish more comfortable instead of it dying on us. It has been in the tank for a week now.
Doesn't sound like you quarantine your fish... Risky risky.

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
The new blue dolphin seems to be slowly getting comfortable. Hopefully it's not false hope. The fish is up with the other fish in the morning for eating. It does still go by itself in the corner at times, but is more with the group now. I do still think it is getting chased and nipped, but seems to have calmed down a little at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store