New Brachyplatystoma juruense (flash zebra / golden zebra) catfish

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I finally got another! I want to give a massive shoutout to Kari of Malone's Monsters in Boca Raton, Florida for helping me with this. I was the worst customer in the world when trying to find this fish, but she was incredibly patient and helpful in my attempts to find what I hope is the right fish.

And I think I may have. This new juruense is itty bitty, but it still had a distinct oddball pattern compared to it's tankmates who all had the more typical striped pattern. I recognize that as it grows it could end up losing this pattern and/or turning dark, but still, I think it will be obvious why I picked the fish that I picked.

For now, I've got the little guy in a quarantine / growout tank because I both want to about vectoring pathogens and I don't want it to be eaten lol. He is eating well, however. I have had this fish for about a week now, but I wanted to be sure that it was stable and eating well for me before I announced it. Over time, I hope to grow this fish out to be 2' or so. This could be good because juruense doesn't get enough attention in the hobby imo. I also have two working hypothesis to test with this fish as to why or why not wild jurs get the really nice golden color, but I am at bare minimum a year away from publishing my results for that.

Check out my new buddy!

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I finally got another! I want to give a massive shoutout to Kari of Malone's Monsters in Boca Raton, Florida for helping me with this. I was the worst customer in the world when trying to find this fish, but she was incredibly patient and helpful in my attempts to find what I hope is the right fish.

And I think I may have. This new juruense is itty bitty, but it still had a distinct oddball pattern compared to it's tankmates who all had the more typical striped pattern. I recognize that as it grows it could end up losing this pattern and/or turning dark, but still, I think it will be obvious why I picked the fish that I picked.

For now, I've got the little guy in a quarantine / growout tank because I both want to about vectoring pathogens and I don't want it to be eaten lol. He is eating well, however. I have had this fish for about a week now, but I wanted to be sure that it was stable and eating well for me before I announced it. Over time, I hope to grow this fish out to be 2' or so. This could be good because juruense doesn't get enough attention in the hobby imo. I also have two working hypothesis to test with this fish as to why or why not wild jurs get the really nice golden color, but I am at bare minimum a year away from publishing my results for that.

Check out my new buddy!

View attachment 1362861

Very nice pickup!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Jeez. Very nice super light pattern

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thank you everyone! I'm really quite pleased with this little guy. He's got gobs of potential I think!

I realize the pic I shared above isn't the best, so I wanted to take a video that I hope shows him a bit better (and to show that it's not edited, just a little overexposed)...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Way out of date, so I figure I should update on this guy.

He died.

This marks the third juruense I have lost on my raw well water, which has a pH of 8.8 and harness literally off the charts.

I'm not going to try another juruense until I get the ro/do set up on the big tank.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
That hurts. Are you going to have to remineralize the rodi before adding?

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store