New Build ~ 600 Gallon

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I may go a similar route but want to try the analog approach first. There is a modified ATO approach already going into the sump. The way I designed the system it should work without having to use solenoids or pumps as the drip fills the tank back up. The sump goes offline one evening per week after a backwash. I can turn it back on once the tank is full. You know how it goes. I'll likely go the automated route when I run out of things to build and over complicate.
I can certainly understand keeping it more simple than over complicating it. I know for me with my drip system if the power cuts out I'll have 30 or 40 gallons flow out the drain, I plan on just letting the drip refill it as well once the power turns back on.

I like that one a lot. I really want the zoom portion though. More so than the pan and tilt options. That makes sense how you describe yours. I saw bulk reef supply also has under water cameras by design,. Take a peek and see if that might work better for you?

Here >>> http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/underwater-reef-cam-icecap.html
With mine being below the surface I am really hoping to find something with all three of the features, PTZ. With a narrow focus I won't be able to see most of it so PTZ is pretty important. I did look at that camera on BRS, it has some mixed reviews and not a great image. Plus the lack of movement rules it out for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I am hoping for the same. I only have one pair but the female has not been very receptive. They get another crack at it the first week of May. The male is mature and has tagged a couple other females. They are roughly 16"-18".
Hopefully that changes for you! Yours are a lot bigger than mine. Mine are only 11"ish, so maybe I have longer than I thought. Mine are supposed to be about 2 years old.

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Sump return is finished. I ran under one pipe, over another to keep it high so I can still fit behind the sump.

IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1097.JPG
The double coupler is because I don't intend to use this pump for long and will swap it out for a pressure rated pump soon. It makes it easier to swap out and use as a utility pump quickly with the same unions.

IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1101.JPG

There is just enough room to crawl behind the sump and have full access to the back of the tank.

IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1118.JPG

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Great work and thank you for documenting. You've given me ideas for future builds :)

Cheers

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Looks nice and clean Justin. You putting this in the garage in the same place in Battle Ground from when I was up there like what, 5 years ago now?

EDIT:

Just perusing the thread, I broke two Reeflo pumps by using teflon tape and then over-tightening them by hand back at the Portland aquarium.

Where in Mexico did you go, I will be over near Cancun here in a couple weeks. Packing fishing gear.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Looks nice and clean Justin. You putting this in the garage in the same place in Battle Ground from when I was up there like what, 5 years ago now?
Thank you. Yes sir. The garage is very different than the last time you were over. We should do another meet soon, it's been a while!

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Thank you. Yes sir. The garage is very different than the last time you were over. We should do another meet soon, it's been a while!
That would be fun, I am down to just one tank. I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I never get to do anything fun anymore!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
That would be fun, I am down to just one tank. I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I never get to do anything fun anymore!
Congrats on the little ones Jamie! That's awesome. Hope all is well. I'll get a meet put together over the summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store