Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Reactions: JK47

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
WOW! Simple yet Stunning beautifully done. What gph are you running through the bead filter? I have been following the thread but may have missed it if you mentioned it.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
WOW! Simple yet Stunning beautifully done. What gph are you running through the bead filter? I have been following the thread but may have missed it if you mentioned it.
Thank you. X2 Reeflo dart gold models valved back 2/3 at approximately 2,500 GPH each. I wanted x8 turn overs valved back. That was the target and I believe I am pretty spot on. I have the impellers to convert them to snapper pumps as well if I want to run them wide open at the same GPH.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Was just curious, I have a poor mans ultima (21" Hayward pool sand filter stuffed with ultima 2 media) running on my 600 gallon at 3k gph it seems to do really well. I was thinking of increasing the flow through it to 5k gph do you think it would increase mechanical filtration with increased flow? Only issue with it is multi port valve holes are to big I lose some media during back wash. Next time I will just purchase the ultima 2 filter. Loving your set up awesome build

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Was just curious, I have a poor mans ultima (21" Hayward pool sand filter stuffed with ultima 2 media) running on my 600 gallon at 3k gph it seems to do really well. I was thinking of increasing the flow through it to 5k gph do you think it would increase mechanical filtration with increased flow? Only issue with it is multi port valve holes are to big I lose some media during back wash. Next time I will just purchase the ultima 2 filter. Loving your set up awesome build
Thank you. Glad you are enjoying it. Honestly I believe if you increase flow you decrease mechanical effectiveness. I had a theory I wanted to test with this setup and so far it is holding true. My system is fully adjustable and when I max out flow, mechanical is less effective.

Reactions: cigars and M@T!@$

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Good to hear because I would have to buy a different pump hybrid like your running to play with gph, I have noticed that if you backflush too frequently clarity seems to suffer with my set up (may be because of poor mans ultima) not sure if you have experience the same thing. I still have a sump with filter socks for surface skimming definitely collects particulate from feedings not sure if it's really needed though. I think my next tank I have built will be closed loop filtration only you can't beat the simplicity of the filtration system and maintenance for that matter.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Finally got the fire tablet in today and configured a user interface for the Apex. Now if the wife or anyone else stands in front of the tank they can control the Apex/tank and not need my phone to access it. It's in a constant on state, stays charged and in display mode. I'll build it into the cabinet next to the display module this weekend.

Cost: $49
Time: 30 mins
Link/instructions below

IMG_3741.JPG IMG_3746.JPG

Tablet:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GEW27DA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_ADnozb5RS9PW2

Instructions:

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Finally got the fire tablet in today and configured a user interface for the Apex. Now if the wife or anyone else stands in front of the tank they can control the Apex/tank and not need my phone to access it. It's in a constant on state, stays charged and in display mode. I'll build it into the cabinet next to the display module this weekend.
...thats pretty damn cool!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store