New Central American tank stocking?

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
1438BEF5-AEEA-4677-9DC4-E8432BF9CF6F.jpegHad a blast today setting up a new tank. It’s small but it was the perfect addition to my weekend. If Central American cichlids was your direction, what would you stock?

75 Gallon
Fx4 matrix and purigen
Hydro circulation
Hydro inline heater

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Zanzag, especially if you want the plants to keep looking good.
A colony of nanoluteus, or some others of the genus Amatitlania like myrnae, or Honduran Red points, or Herotilapia multispinossa will probably work well, but
avoid anything that gets over 7.5", and has a proclivity for vegetarianism like the Vieja, or Cincilichthys.
Below A. nanoluteus

myrnae

red points

multispinnossa

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I agree with Zanzag, especially if you want the plants to keep looking good.
A colony of nanoluteus, or some others of the genus Amatitlania like myrnae, or Honduran Red points, or Herotilapia multispinossa will probably work well, but
avoid anything that gets over 7.5", and has a proclivity for vegetarianism like the Vieja, or Cincilichthys.
Below A. nanoluteus

myrnae

red points

multispinnossa
Thank you Duane’s.

I have a few rainbows I was going to transfer over And a couple firemouths that need a new home. I love the red points.

What do you think of this to start?

4x rainbows
5x red points
8x swordtail
1 blue acaara
2x firemouth

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thank you Duane’s.

I have a few rainbows I was going to transfer over And a couple firemouths that need a new home. I love the red points.

What do you think of this to start?

4x rainbows
5x red points
8x swordtail
1 blue acaara
2x firemouth
Could work, might get quite crowded somewhere down the line though as they hit maturity.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Could work, might get quite crowded somewhere down the line though as they hit maturity.
Your right.

Going to scale to

2 rainbow
3 redpoint
5 swords
2 firemouth
1 blue acara

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Might work. why cut back on the swords though? Could get messy if the redpoints or firemouths pair up though. Also could be trouble if the acara is male and mean. My female blue shredded all the scales off a firemouth twice her size

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Might work. why cut back on the swords though? Could get messy if the redpoints or firemouths pair up though. Also could be trouble if the acara is male and mean. My female blue shredded all the scales off a firemouth twice her size
I have the most docile female blue and some really relaxed firemouth and rainbows. I dropped the rainbows and blue in today they are loving it. If things ever got heated I have multiple tanks to send them to. I also run a 55 with one pleco always as an emergency drop out tank for fighters.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If it was me I would pick either the HRPs or the FMs or the BAs.
For the HRPs and BAs get 1M3F. The FMs like to be in groups like tetras do, so get a even mix of them around eight.
Keep the Swordtails count up, even add a group of taller bodied tetras like black skirts, bleeding hearts etc.
The swords will go all over, the tetras should stay mid. Could even add a Bushy nose pleco, and a porthole cat for bottom.

Reactions: Nm1 and Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store