New Crenicichla Venezuela

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I just got a trio of these guys from Jeff Rapps. They came in looking great but haven't eaten for me (that I can see) since I've had them. This has been about a week. There is a strongly bonded pair (7-9") I have qt'd in a 90 and the other 6" in a 40 breeder. They are pellet trained but unless they've eaten food off the bottom they're not striking anything. I've tried all kinds of pellets and market shrimp. I've had to remove the cut shrimp each time. You figure I should just keep this up until they get hungry or try and jump start them with something? I am really against using feeders. Thanks for the help.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would wait it out. I’m sure they’ll eventually eat.

Reactions: jandb

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would wait it out, feeders are likely to give your new fish pathogens or disease. What is the fish's activity like? Do they seem scared of you? Swimming around the tank yet? Do you have floating plants, or décor in the upper reaches of the tank?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
E09BCA7B-6696-4330-8E04-C9A982986462.jpeg 29861410-A75F-48B3-81CC-4049AF6E0A06.jpeg I was thinking the same thing. Would you continue to feed pellets daily the. Just vac?

Yep. It’s dense with wood. They do seem Skittish but Swim around the bottom of the tank. They’re mostly laying next to each other under a stump. Here’s a pic

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I might try some floating plants, plastic ones from Michael's or another craft store work well for this. I'm guessing birds are their most common predators in the wild, they like when there is something to hide under at the top of the tank.
At this size they can go a few weeks without food. I would hold off on the vacuuming for a week, let them get nice and comfortable. Try feeding a couple times, small amounts to avoid the water getting fouled.
Dithers might help them get more comfortable as well. Silver dollars worked with my Venezuelans.
I would stick it out, after they are comfortably swimming around all parts of the tank, I bet they will eat. Mine were ravenous at feeding time, would splash water out of the tank when I came home from work.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I might try some floating plants, plastic ones from Michael's or another craft store work well for this. I'm guessing birds are their most common predators in the wild, they like when there is something to hide under at the top of the tank.
At this size they can go a few weeks without food. I would hold off on the vacuuming for a week, let them get nice and comfortable. Try feeding a couple times, small amounts to avoid the water getting fouled.
Dithers might help them get more comfortable as well. Silver dollars worked with my Venezuelans.
I would stick it out, after they are comfortably swimming around all parts of the tank, I bet they will eat. Mine were ravenous at feeding time, would splash water out of the tank when I came home from work.
Awesome! I have a bunch of fake plants I can through in there. I think the other challenge is the qt I have them in is a 90 and it's real tall. Jeff said the same thing about them crushing pettets. Can't wait to get them there.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Just wait it out. Eventually they’ll get hungry enough to eat. Have you tried frozen krill or silversides? Seems to work for both of mine. It took a month before they were comfortable with me being around. If I move slowly they’ll hang out in the open. Quick movements and they dart for cover. After a 2 week vacation, they were waiting for me to feed them. Since then they’ve been more brave

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Just wait it out. Eventually they’ll get hungry enough to eat. Have you tried frozen krill or silversides? Seems to work for both of mine. It took a month before they were comfortable with me being around. If I move slowly they’ll hang out in the open. Quick movements and they dart for cover. After a 2 week vacation, they were waiting for me to feed them. Since then they’ve been more brave
I haven’t yet. I’ll have to go get some. I did try shrimp and no dice. I’m glad to hear they may just take awhile to adjust.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store