New Cross River Pufferfish

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
There are some pea puffers for sale at coburg aqaurium now. I dropped in there today and was amazed to see them for sale as ive never seen any freshwater puffers in Australia.
Tiny things about as big as your little fingernail and $160 each, no idea if thats a reasonable price or not but its out of my budget!
For me personally that sounds way too expensive considering how much i used to be able to get them back in Hong Kong.

I’m also almost sure i also saw a FB aquatics page that said they sold Pea puffers here in Australia for a lot less than that but can’t remember the name. If i come across it again will let you know as they claim they breed them themselves so would probably bring price down…

Anyway, i definitely need to do some hunting for good LFS’ around here for when i win the lottery, coz the cost of tanks and fish here is astronomical… especially the few rays that i’ve seen for sale…

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
For me personally that sounds way too expensive considering how much i used to be able to get them back in Hong Kong.

I’m also almost sure i also saw a FB aquatics page that said they sold Pea puffers here in Australia for a lot less than that but can’t remember the name. If i come across it again will let you know as they claim they breed them themselves so would probably bring price down…

Anyway, i definitely need to do some hunting for good LFS’ around here for when i win the lottery, coz the cost of tanks and fish here is astronomical… especially the few rays that i’ve seen for sale…
Whereabouts are you located? I can give some recommendations for Sydney, and i know a couple round melbourne.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Whereabouts are you located? I can give some recommendations for Sydney, and i know a couple round melbourne.
Thanks, i'm in Melbourne

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Aquatico is good, and coburg i've hear is half decent
Theres a few good shops here, Coburg is a bit hit and miss and can be costly but its worth checking out once in a while.
Fastway and Aquapet are my 2 local shops, on the other side of town theres Lots of fins which is good but outrageously priced as they donate a lot of their profits to charity and New Life Keysborough.
Theres a lot to choose from here, some good and some bad but its always going to be more expensive and much less variety than Fat Homer Fat Homer is used to from his Hong Kong days, especially if rays are involved.
I remeber when i was in hong kong there was a whole street of just aquarium shops, it was great and even better nearby theres a street of just womens clothes shops. I got to the neigbourhood and dropped my wife off at the clothing street and said "see you at lucnh" and had a very pleasant morning.

Back to the pea puffers, im actually getting very interested in them and have an empty 20G that should hold a small group but the cost is much too high, will ahve to do some research and see if i can find a cheaper source.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Big shout out to Fugupuff and Jorge N NationWideAquatics for bringing these guys in. This little dude came in from nationwide aquatics Wednesday and I could not have been happier. Smooth process, perfect condition and larger than expected. He ate four pieces of shrimp for the first time today. View attachment 1504990View attachment 1504991View attachment 1504992View attachment 1504993View attachment 1504994
How is the puffer getting on? I picked one up last night from a fishkeeper that had bought it 4 weeks before. I love it already and cant wait to see it tonight when I am in from work andthe lights are on

What is yours feeding on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store