New dat... problems already :( could do with some advice...

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Nice indo dat! Feed cut tilapia fillets to fill that belly. Obtained two 6" 3 bar indos from a LFS and it had sunken in stomachs. As for the aggression issues, good luck!

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
So he'll colour as he ages, cool. I went to supermarket today and looked at the fish counter and in the frozen section and i didnt see tilapia. Anyone know where to get it in the uk? Or even if its available? i have frozen lancefish, that should be as good, no? I also regularly feed, prawns, krill, earthworms, mealworm now and again, bloodworm (frozen and live). Once a week i get live river shrimp and then i have variou pellets, hikari foodsticks, sinking carnivore, massivore. Try to vary it through the week. I bought some mussels for the bichirs, but nobody liked them. Im going to email the shop that sent the tiger i think and sk what he was eating (if anything) when they had him. I think im probably worrying over nothing i mean he only arrived today ffs, maybe he odesnt feel like eating after what hes been through lol

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Any freshwater fish will do. I feed mine frozen tilapia, Pangicus catfish (Walmart calls it Swai) and floating Hikari pellets. To turn the skinny dat to become a fatty, turn off the lights during your feedings. Shy indo dats tend to eat more when its dark.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Feed that fish . It's very very thin. Flatten up with anything itll eat. just to bulk it out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Agree with Ade,just feed it what it will eat to.start with then you can work on variety,As for the tilapia,I can't find anyone who sells it near me either,where are you in the UK Ian?.

Steve

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
yeah, im only interested in getting him to eat right now... he ate a bloodworm earlier... gasp, 1 whole bloodworm! Frozen though, so i have gotten some live and will be persevering with that. Im in plymouth steve, ive done some investigating and according to their website tescos does tilapia, fresh and frozen, i dont know how well frozen would work unless you let it defrost, cut it to what you want and then refreeze. is refreezing bad for fish like it is for us? i think i will try and get fresh if they have it... more expensive, but probably less waste in the long run. the fresh worked out at £18/kilo frozen about £7/kilo. Although now i look at itthe frozen fillets dont look too big so maybe it would work. If tescos let me down im going to go to a fishmarket in town. Is there a reason that tilapia is better than any other kind of fish?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Well, he has just eaten some live bloodworm, I had to direct it to him with a pippette in the corner away from everyone else, he is so picky tho, like he is full and forcing himself, even though he is blatantly empty!! It isnt helping that every time he goes for a worm he gets a mouthful of sand and half the time he was spitting the worm out with the sand. Ill keep at it though. I bought a load of bloodworm, so every few hours ill give him some more. ill be getting some live river shrimpp tomoro, maybe that will get his interest?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
He ate a bunch of river shrimp today and has a nice fat little belly going on lol. Steve, I went to tesco an they did have tilapia, only fresh that i could see £2 per fillet, but they were quite big. Guess the frozen is only if you have it delivered. They also had pangasius which ive seen people on this site talking about. They call it river cobbler though.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Cool,glad he's eating for you,I've not been Tesco for a while but I know they didnt have it last time,don't know about the cobbler.
I think the tilapia is a clean fillet,so its good for water conditions,and fish seem to like eating it and grow well on it apparently.

Steve

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So he'll colour as he ages, cool. I went to supermarket today and looked at the fish counter and in the frozen section and i didnt see tilapia. Anyone know where to get it in the uk? Or even if its available? i have frozen lancefish, that should be as good, no? I also regularly feed, prawns, krill, earthworms, mealworm now and again, bloodworm (frozen and live). Once a week i get live river shrimp and then i have variou pellets, hikari foodsticks, sinking carnivore, massivore. Try to vary it through the week. I bought some mussels for the bichirs, but nobody liked them. Im going to email the shop that sent the tiger i think and sk what he was eating (if anything) when they had him. I think im probably worrying over nothing i mean he only arrived today ffs, maybe he odesnt feel like eating after what hes been through lol
hey you live in the UK just go to iceland and buy the cheap £3 a bag prawns

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store