new datnoid

AlphaBG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Narnia
I just bought my datnoid a few days ago at like 1 inch, it looks good and healthy but i have some questions:
1. its brackish, right and the water should have like a teaspoon per gallon right?
2. [i'm keeping it in a 20 for now, i have a 70 with some aggresive bichirs and im scared that they might eat it] should i move to the 70 right away or leave it in the 20 until its appropriate?
3. and finally, when should start feeding it live foods like shrimp, feeder fish and stuff?

Thank you

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
AlphaBG;864639; said:
I just bought my datnoid a few days ago at like 1 inch, it looks good and healthy but i have some questions:
1. its brackish, right and the water should have like a teaspoon per gallon right?
2. [i'm keeping it in a 20 for now, i have a 70 with some aggresive bichirs and im scared that they might eat it] should i move to the 70 right away or leave it in the 20 until its appropriate?
3. and finally, when should start feeding it live foods like shrimp, feeder fish and stuff?

Thank you
What type of dat is it? not all dats are brackish. the silvers and NGT are the ones that are found in brackish (but can do well in fresh too)

how big are the bichers? it may be risky to put the little dat in if hes small enough to be eaten

if hes not on live food now, and taking prepared food readily, i would try to stick with prepared food. i would only introduce livefoods regularly if he is not eating normally. i dont see anything wrong with an occasionaly live snack though. good luck!

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
islander671;864782; said:
What type of dat is it? not all dats are brackish. the silvers and NGT are the ones that are found in brackish (but can do well in fresh too)

how big are the bichers? it may be risky to put the little dat in if hes small enough to be eaten

if hes not on live food now, and taking prepared food readily, i would try to stick with prepared food. i would only introduce livefoods regularly if he is not eating normally. i dont see anything wrong with an occasionaly live snack though. good luck!
:iagree:

I have larger bichirs in my tanks and I'm not risking mixing my little guys with them. I keep them in a grow-out tank and then as they grow I move them into larger tanks as needed. Once my guys hit the 3" mark then I move them in with the bichirs.

As far as brackish water goes, I haven't had any problems keeping my silvers in fresh. I don't have any NGTs yet so I can't speek from experience but I know people who keep them in straight fresh with no problems at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store