New Discus not eating

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks without eating. They seem to hide a lot too. Could it take even longer for the to get used to the tank?
2 weeks is getting towards serious.. i wish i knew more about discus to give better help but if you already tried epsom salt, pH, temps, different foods, could try adding new discus in there that will show them how to be normal, i did that w/other fish that were having difficult time adjusting...

if you look for other discus posts maybe ask another that has had similar experience bro. post pics if u can + hope to hear better results.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Ok thanks. I will.
Did you try what Lilyann Lilyann suggested?

If was my fish I would treat with metronidazole.
Water changes of 25% before each dose.
Boyd's Vitachem in water column.
Temp @ 90 degrees.
Just going thru the fish cabinet & reading this Qian Hu / Ocean Free vitamin complex is also recommended for A-Z and also for fish that aren't eating *in a new tank*

For stingray should only use 1/2 dosage, normal dose looks OK for discus there's a picture of them on the back.

IMG_0900.jpg IMG_0898.jpg IMG_0901.jpg

Last edited:

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
I raised temp to 90. Fed them some blackworms. Some of them, not all,are starting to eat by picking (grazing)in the gravel a little. Still hiding a little too. At least it’s a start.

Reactions: Bonytang

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Well when I walk in the room they hide. When I sit down they come out and school together. I have seen them graze. But not go crazy at feeding time. Think they’re getting better. I know it has a lot to do with tank location in a high traffic area. They just have to get used to it. I refuse to move the tank.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Did you use the metronidazole?

What size are these discus?

Do you age your water or use straight from tap for water change? If from tap, have you tested your pH from tap and after 24 hours to see measurement after gassing out?

Last edited:

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Didn’t use the metro. They’re 5 inches. Heard PH shouldn’t be a problem. I use Prime when I change water every 2 or 3 days.

gregkarr09

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
Los Angeles, California
I would relax on the water changes, could be stressing them out a bit. Maybe 50% once a week for now. 2 weeks is a long time to not eat, but its not unheard of. make sure you remove the uneaten food. Beefheart fowls the water if its left sitting in the tank. you can try to raise the temp to 90 degrees to kill any bacteria that might be in the water. Good Luck, I know its stressfull.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store