New Eartheater Species: Satanoperca curupira

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I'm giddy like a schoolgirl over here.. These look similar to S. mapiritensis with lines on cheek vs spangling. Yes please!

Satanoperca_curupira-novataxa_2018-Ota_Kullander_Deprá_Graça_et_Pavanelli.jpg
A live specimen collected in the Rio Jaru, Rio Madeira basin, in Brazil” (photo by U. Werner).

The newly-described eartheater, Satanoperca curupira, occurs syntopically with the more widespread and closely-related Satanoperca jurupari.

Abstract from Zootaxa

Satanoperca curupira, new species, is described from the rio Madeira basin in the State of Rondônia, Brazil.

It is distinguished from all congeners by the following combination of characters: 3–7 dark-brown oblique stripes on the lachrymal (vs. 2 well-defined dark-brown stripes, or dark-brown stripes absent) and an irregular pattern of dark-brown stripes on cheek and opercular series (vs. cheek without dark-brown markings or with light-beige rounded spots). According to meristic and color pattern characters, the new species is considered a member of the S. jurupari species group, and is syntopicS. jurupari, which is widespread in the Amazon basin. The restricted geographical range of the new species is congruent to that observed for some other Satanoperca species.

Reference

Ota, Renata & Kullander, Sven & Deprá, Gabriel & Graça, Weferson & Pavanelli, C. (2018). Satanoperca curupira, a new cichlid species from the rio Madeira basin in Brazil (Teleostei: Cichlidae). Zootaxa. 4379. . 10.11646/zootaxa.4379.1.6.

Story Credit >> here

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
That's a good looking fish right there. Location is interesting, connecting pappaterra to the rest of the genus.

Reactions: mrrobxc and JK47

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
wondering if they are less sensitive to ph like jurupari or more sensitive like the spotted species

Reactions: mrrobxc

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
wondering if they are less sensitive to ph like jurupari or more sensitive like the spotted species
My guess would be less sensitive. I’ve never had luck with spotted species and have somewhat hard water. I’ve had multiple successful attempts and some breeding with jurupari, mapiritensis, and leucosticta. The jurupari family seems much less affected.

Reactions: mrrobxc and bbortko

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
fugupuff fugupuff . Wes? Have you heard of these?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store