New Fahaka - the best Fahakaing puffer ever!

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Guess it's been 4 months since last update.

Not too much to report. I will get a pic soon, but it's been business as usual. The large pleco is still living with him Donald although he will murder anything else. Still feeding him a crayfish every day or every other day.

I thought he looked bigger, so I stuck a ruler in the tank and to my surprise he is still 12" although seems heavier. Everyone that sees him guesses he is 15" plus, but I am a big fan of only reporting size with a ruler next to the fish inside the tank! Think I get that from discus keeping although with discus it's easier to take them out of water to measure. A no no with puffers.

The system still gets its automatic 20% daily RO/Di water change and the lillys and pothos are growing. Last checked nitrate was under 5ppm with salifert kit (the discus 180 and his 120 are plumbed together).

Reactions: Fat Homer

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Nice fish, feeding video please! -)

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Well Donald is still doing just fine. His eating and growth has dropped off a lot, I only feed him once a week or maybe twice when his belly goes down.

I added white sand, I didn't have it before so could keep the system clean to maximize growth and not stunt him, but now his growth slowed down he can have sand. I did add another powerhead to help keep the sand clean from all the pleco poo! Donald's color is much lighter now.

I grew out a red tail gourami in a 40b for a couple months to try as a tankmate and put him in a month (ish) ago. Donald had taken a few chucks of fin out, but I think the RTGG is tough enough that Donald's exploratory bites don't go past his armor of scales, like the pleco. I mean I am sure D could take a chunk out if he wanted, but he seems to just nip fins of the RTGG and pleco. The RTGG might eventually out grow the 120, if he starts to look cramped I will just give him away, no worries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store