New Figure Eights

WestTex

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
So, I just added the figure eights today to their new home. They have been in there for about 3 hours now and seem to be just pacing against the glass. They came in mail order. Not sure what kind of water they were in at the shipper, but I have them in a tank with 1.005 SG, about 78 F.

I did see one of them nip at a pond snail in there but that is about it..I tried to feed them frozen bloodworms a little while ago but they have ignored them.

I have been trying to nab a picture of them but they are very skittish atm so I figured it best to leave them alone.

Hope everything is ok. I have never had puffers before..and I have never mail ordered any livestock.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
How big is the tank? Is it cycled? Did you acclimate them to that SG (pretty sure they were probably in FW). Here's an article on them: F8 PUFFERS

WestTex

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
Tank is 20 gallons and has been running for 3 months and is properly cycled. And, no I have not acclimated them to that SG..Lesson learned. I will get that done asap and see what happens.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Please read that article. 15g for the 1st F8 & 10g for every extra.

js97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think you'll be okay with that kind of salinity.

COnsidering they live in rivers/estuarines, etc., and how the water parameters can change quickly... they'll be fine..

give them a few days, you should however, have a well decorated/planted tank for them to feel save and interested in their new environment.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Yes, 1.005 is perfect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store