New filter and I have questions!

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I recently bought an aquatop sp5-uv submersible filter for my 40 gallon tank I’m setting up. I’m new to UV filtration so if anyone can give me a general breakdown on benifits, that’d be awesome! Also, upon inspection, it seems like there’s no spot in the filter for charcoal. Does anything have any recommendations on how to include chemical filtration either in or outside this filter or the tank?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The Aquatop SP5-uv filter only uses a pre-filter sponge (part #18 in the manual) to catch any debris. The unit is an UV filter and not meant to act as a traditional filter for biological or chemical media so you would need another filter for that purpose.

Do you have another filter already on this tank?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
The Aquatop SP5-uv filter only uses a pre-filter sponge (part #18 in the manual) to catch any debris. The unit is an UV filter and not meant to act as a traditional filter for biological or chemical media so you would need another filter for that purpose.

Do you have another filter already on this tank?
Originally I was looking for a fluval U series as I’ve had a good experience with them being completely silent. Was told it was similar. Tank is not set up yet, but I do also have a 40 gallon spong filter I’m planning on running.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
+1
Why do you feel you need UV and charcoal? Generally neither is needed, and not for permanent use.
I didn’t specifically buy it for the UV, it’s just what it had. I’ve just always had charcoal, so in my mind it’s just something you do…

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Originally I was looking for a fluval U series as I’ve had a good experience with them being completely silent. Was told it was similar. Tank is not set up yet, but I do also have a 40 gallon spong filter I’m planning on running.
The only similarities between the Fluval U series and what you bought is that they both install in the tank and underwater. The Flual U series is actually a filter that uses mechanical, bio and chemical media.

The sponge filter should work just fine as your mechanical and bio filter. Will you be using an air pump or a power-head to run the sponge filter?

What fish are you considering stocking in your 40G tank? Also, is the tank a 40B (breeder size), a standard 40G tank or something else? Dimensions may be helpful if you are still deciding what fish you plan on keeping for suggestions.

Reactions: tlindsey

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
The only similarities between the Fluval U series and what you bought is that they both install in the tank and underwater. The Flual U series is actually a filter that uses mechanical, bio and chemical media.

The sponge filter should work just fine as your mechanical and bio filter. Will you be using an air pump or a power-head to run the sponge filter?

What fish are you considering stocking in your 40G tank? Also, is the tank a 40B (breeder size), a standard 40G tank or something else? Dimensions may be helpful if you are still deciding what fish you plan on keeping for suggestions.
Sponge filter is going to be run on air pump. Stock is looking like ivanacara adoketa (hoping to get a pair), lemon tetras and an L183 pleco if I can find one. It’s a 40 breeder, sadly the only tank I have left after I broke down everything 6-7 years ago. Water tested so I know it still holds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store