new fish

JonV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Randolph NJ
Hap is short for Haplochromie which are more bigger open water types. A 37 gallon won't work for a Venustus when full grown. Aside from it being a bit aggressive, the sheer bulk even females get to be, it will be cramped in that footprint. My 2 year old full grown adult male is at least a good 10 inches might be more. Nice looking fish, but these guys get big.

That unknown blue one, I'm not leaning towards Metriclimea Lombardoi (Kenyi) as the bars look a bit thing on them, and the usual bars you see on that species are usually thicker and have the same patterns similar to a Astilapia Lafasciata (Zebra Obliquedin) It's not to say a Lombardoi can't have this, but usually you don't see quite so many and they are usually more thick.

Where did you get these from? If you didn't pick these up from a private breeder and rather a chain store, there is a chance it could be a hybrid. Have to factor that in. Many chain stores and bulk stores that are corporate are contracted in to having to buy from commercial breeders, and mass commerical types, don't always have the best set ups going. They need sheer numbers, so your gene pool can get a bit screwed up in these operations.

I'd like to take another look again, but posting blocks me from viewing and posting. It has a similar pattern to that of even Ps. Elongatus, and Ps. Demasoni also, but not quite the same.

JonV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Randolph NJ
Number 5 to me, the second unknown, actually, I'm thinking it's some sort of female Peacock or a young juvenile male that hasn't colored up yet. Would need the shot to be closer to get a better look at the face and body.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
Nice fish ..... nice avatar too! we will be fine come august when it matters..... you care about the bruins at all? theyre gonna own the habs

cudatim68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Upstate New York
In picture number 10, the yellow fish with vertical stripes is a female Pseudotropheus Crabro. That bumblebee's mature size is 7-8 inches and very thick bodied.
Nice looking africans.

cichlidbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Groton, CT
i got them from a local place and from petco. i think the blue one is from the local place. both places had them all listed as assorted africans.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
if you dont plan on upgrading the size of the tank, then get rid of the bumblebee and venustus. they will get way too large for that tank.

i see venustus and crabros all the time thrown in with "assorted africans" mixes and it irks me-most ppl just dont realize they dont fall in the same category as the mbuna-they just get large.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store