New Geo Tapajos Fry

Dave62

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Awesome! Great pics and fish! Get some BBS cooking?
I’ve not yet learned how to hatch brine shrimp so picked up some frozen bbs from Aquarium coop.
i melt a chunk in a cup of tank water and use a syringe to inject it gently just above the fry. I think it’s the right consistency for them by the looks of there tiny full bellies. Keeping them at about 82f and changing 50% water daily. Here’s a quick shot of them tonight.
ED7C3486-ECB4-4C6C-87CA-9CADE61AB8A2.jpeg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Neutrino There are several rock caves on one side of the tank. Now that I think of it several weeks ago I recall one of the RH digging mouthfuls of sand out of one cave. They hid in their little cave for days, maybe a few weeks. I bet they cleaned the sand down to the glass to lay their eggs. That’s probably were they sequesterEd the fry last night. I setup a 5 gallon tank for them with a sponge filter and siphoned out probably 30 fry today. Feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp from a little plastic medicine syringe. It’s perfect, I inject a fine myst of food right on top of them and they go nuts! Will try mixing in crushed flake and peas tomorrow. how many times a day should I feed them? Somewhere I read as much as 10 times a day when they’re new.
Myself, I don't really have a strict count or schedule for feeding fry (and I've raised many hundreds and various species). Even left alone in an adult tank and on an adult feeding schedule, whether by design or by accident, they find a way ime.

That said I feed them several times a day when in a grow-out tank, in the range of 3-5 times, probably up to 6 times. I don't like to go overboard with feeding and I don't keep them in very small tanks, those things which might necessitate siphoning out food, daily water changes, and all of that (a 50 or 55 gal tank with good filtration, which is how I keep fry, goes a long way to clean, stable water for them without going above and beyond normal maintenance, the same would apply to tanks a little smaller if you don't go too small-- another advantage to larger grow-out tanks is not needing to move them for a good while) What I like to do is provide an algae or biofilm source, whether it's algae on driftwood, rocks, tank glass, etc. Most fry will graze on this as they want and I find it works well for growing new fry with whatever else you feed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Dave62

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Here's a quick update on the fry - they seem to be growing out nicely. Here they are attacking some ground up bug bites. Starting to look like an eartheater!
Bigger fry 112320.jpg

And, here is batch #3 from the same parents. I now have 3 separate batches of fry growing out, plus 10 or so fry from my other pair of Tapajos. These two are very good parents - not afraid to man up against a few bigger Cichilds in the tank. Very good parents!
More fry2 112320.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store