New GHXB Community Planted Tank!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just wondering, why would you put tanning lights on a Gold Xback?

Each to his own of course, but imo Xbacks don't really benefit from tanning and in fact it can have negative consequences:
1) any effect would only be temporary -- similar to a white dude going to the beach and getting tanned (or burned); any good effects will fade away unless one plans to do it years and years, which many would argue isn't good for a fish's long-term health.
2) Too much tanning can lead to (possibly permanent) sun burnt (brown or black) splotches on the fish and can therefore actually prevent it from fully crossing.
3) If done for too long (and also depending on where lights are placed), some say tanning can increase the chances an Aro will get drop-eye (which is arguably why we see DE in many (otherwise beautiful) Reds nowadays).
4) Probably at least 90% of an Arowana's coloring (and crossing level) comes down to good genetics -- either a fish has them or they don't. Proper diet and water parameters aside, most other things are pretty much temporary cosmetic effects at best.

monsteraqua

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
South East Asia
Just wondering, why would you put tanning lights on a Gold Xback?

Each to his own of course, but imo Xbacks don't really benefit from tanning and in fact it can have negative consequences:
1) any effect would only be temporary -- similar to a white dude going to the beach and getting tanned (or burned); any good effects will fade away unless one plans to do it years and years, which many would argue isn't good for a fish's long-term health.
2) Too much tanning can lead to (possibly permanent) sun burnt (brown or black) splotches on the fish and can therefore actually prevent it from fully crossing.
3) If done for too long (and also depending on where lights are placed), some say tanning can increase the chances an Aro will get drop-eye (which is arguably why we see DE in many (otherwise beautiful) Reds nowadays).
4) Probably at least 90% of an Arowana's coloring (and crossing level) comes down to good genetics -- either a fish has them or they don't. Proper diet and water parameters aside, most other things are pretty much temporary cosmetic effects at best.
Tanning 12 hours a day, acts what occurs in the wild.
In my opinion, to get the best colours out of the Arowana a T5.0 (NOT 10.0) Should be used to ensure the fishes colouration and health especially if it is an expensive farm competition bred fish..

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Tanning 12 hours a day, acts what occurs in the wild.
In my opinion, to get the best colours out of the Arowana a T5.0 (NOT 10.0) Should be used to ensure the fishes colouration and health especially if it is an expensive farm competition bred fish..
What occurs in a tank with tanning lights is quite different from what an Arowana experiences in the wild...unless maybe you have a 100,000+ gallon biotope aquarium ;)

And ESPECIALLY if an Arowana is "expensive farm competition bred", there should be no need for tanning 12 hr. a day -- or any tanning for that matter -- my GHXB (which I've personally never considered to be competition level), has never been touched by tanning lights (or even yellow/warm lights) -- how can it be so colorful and still fully crossed after 1 year of ownership and only plain old 6500K household lights 8-9 hr/day? But if you don't have the same confidence in your Aro, I can understand, again each to his own.

Good luck and look fwd to seeing how it works out -- though for all our learning it would be great if you could take before and after pix of your Arowana in plain white lighting, not yellowish lighting like in photos above, then can more easily compare after you're further into your tanning process.

Reactions: Leo Messi

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Some related points:
-- my BBXB also has only been under the same LED lighting/schedule as the GHXB, but she in fact is even deeper gold than the GHXB (which I mostly attribute to her being in a much darker tank with black bottom and dark purple background). She's crazy colorful, esp. for her age, I personally wouldn't chance charring that with tanning. (of course I'm not sure she is really a she :) )

-- in hindsight I have to say that actually the tanning regimen you propose above most would call 'soft tanning', not hard (e.g. 24/7 and lights with even more UVA/UVB, like Arcadias, which are popular with Red Aro tanners). As such, your fish might be less susceptible to the negative consequences I mention above, only time would tell, but again personally I don't think it's necessary and prefer a more patient, longer-term approach. I shouldn't have come across as overly critical of your approach, and either way we can likely learn something from the results.

-- I would also agree with the notion that our Arowana need some UVA/UVB light for best health (in fact tbh I have been wondering if this is a possible weakness with my current LED lights). But if I ever did add some I would only use them occasionally and probably only for a few hours at a time, and not under a 12/7 (let alone 24/7) full tanning regimen -- partly because I wouldn't want to risk charring, possible DE, etc. but also very importantly because I personally don't think the fish are so comfortable with the process, but that's just my opinion.

-- if you are going to use tanning lights, I've seen many suggest to start with a shorter schedule (e.g. a few hours a day) for a week or so, rather jump directly into a 12 or 24-hr format, which makes sense insofar as stressing the fish less, so maybe something to consider.

-- as you're planning to run your tanning light(s) in a community tank, it'll be interesting to see whether or not there are any noticeable coloration changes with the other fish, plz let us know on this point too.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Nice fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store