New guy from northern New Mexico

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
We're thinking we love having these big Brookies, but if we do change we'll go with Rainbows next time as they'll handle the warmer water better. Interesting though to consider Walleye. I know nothing about them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
update on our little monsters
It's 9° F -12.7°C outside this morning.
Nothing beats the sounds of water in the morning
I wasn't aware it got anywhere near that cold in NM but thanks for the update.I have enjoyed this thread.

Reactions: Brian Rodgers

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
We're thinking we love having these big Brookies, but if we do change we'll go with Rainbows next time as they'll handle the warmer water better. Interesting though to consider Walleye. I know nothing about them.
which bottom-feeders did you eventually decide on? My friend's Dad wants to give me a 12" bullhead, but i'm still on the fence about taking it

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Jonas aquarium has them for sale at about 12 dollars each (plus shipping),they like live food but can be trained to eat chunks of fish,shrimp or other low fat meaty foods

Reactions: Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
which bottom-feeders did you eventually decide on? My friend's Dad wants to give me a 12" bullhead, but i'm still on the fence about taking it
We've got a couple standard plecos in there now, but I saw one the other day while cleaning and it looked like it was suffering from the cold. Also we've got the comets, and they do a lot. I'd love to get some catfish, but our income just dropped drastically thanks to doubling health insurance costs for 2017. At one time I was going to go fishing for some in the nearby lake, but sadly never got around to it

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
We've got a couple standard plecos in there now, but I saw one the other day while cleaning and it looked like it was suffering from the cold. Also we've got the comets, and they do a lot. I'd love to get some catfish, but our income just dropped drastically thanks to doubling health insurance costs for 2017. At one time I was going to go fishing for some in the nearby lake, but sadly never got around to it
yea, Plecos tend to not do very well under 65F which is optimal for trout............I would definitely grab some worms or chicken liver and some long-shank hooks and a pair of hemostats and go to a small local stream at night to catch Bullheads. That's the cheapest and easiest way to do it. You can get Channels also, but when they get big......they get BIG. lol Numerous Bullheads will probably work better than a a Channel cat or 2

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Good morning.
From my morning post in Backyardaquaponics forum: I had mixed feelings about that algicide as well. I bought it for the outdoor Koi pond but it cleared up on its own. In aqauria land they would say the system is out of balance if you get algae, fix whatever the issue is and it'll slowly go away. Thank you for confirming this.
The algae is on the walls of the fish tank. It is shaped like a carpet. I see the Comets munching it. We don't feed the Comets, so they are on clean up duty if they want to eat. Trout food goes in at dawn and again at dusk at around twenty five 5mm pellets each feeding. I figure that is a few pellets each 1 pound trout. I have to assume the Trout are pretty well fed with fish eggs from the Comets and other Trout too. I should reduce the quantity of food further as I do see uneaten fish food in the skimmer filter. Thank for that suggestion as well.
I haven't identified the algae yet. This algae isn't free floating for example the water shows no signs of algae nor is there algae in the biofilters.
Attachment:

Trout-Jan-5th-2017-picture-from-boardwalk.jpg [ 267.65 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

We've got cloud cover and it is raining slightly (no Global warming here
) so for the first time I got good photos from above the water in our trout pond.
Attachment:

Trout-Jan-5th-2017-picture-from-boardwalk-bottom-visible.jpg [ 253.46 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

Trout are looking fine this morning.
Attachment:

DWC-Dog-Dawn-1-5-2017.jpg [ 172.08 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

Cleaned and trimmed greenhouse, yippee! That lower bed on the right in this photo is the one as yet not relined. The pond liner is on its way though. My original idea was to have the grow-beds above the pond so if they did ever leak (I had no idea how soon that would be apparently
) so the leak would flow back into the pond. Sadly that plan did not work. One of the learning experiences with our aquaponics system is it would be a miracle if a leak went where we wanted it to go. Currently this leak is running down between the house and pond
It just started getting bad so getting this last GB re-lined now is pretty good timing.
Attachment:

Rockwork-aquarium-style-window-strawberry-towers.jpg [ 172.68 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

I let the algae get bad and can not keep up with cleaning it off the Plexiglass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store