New guy making his intro

asomeone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Good evening all. I am making my debut into the world of more...exotic pets with a motoro stingray. After about a year of gathering supplies/money/etc I have finally handbuilt everything I think I need to house a stingray. I have reasearched time and time again but theres nothing like some good ol advice from avid keepers. I built a 350 gallon tank, custom lighting, 150 gallon custom sump with built in dual side algae scrubber, and multiple raspberry pi monitoring systems. I am extremely excited to finally fill this tank up and begin the cycling process while i stock the tank with plants. I am utilizing filtration media to kickstart the cycling process from an active 85 gallon tank. I am planning to move a small school of 5 tetras into the tank while i plant it with hardy plants such as amazon swords and wisteria. I will not purchase the ray until the tank is fully cycled (obviously). As I want the ray to have as much open tank space as possible I will only be stocking background plants to cover the rear of the tank with a couple java moss mats attached to rear wall of the tank. Substrate will be gravel for 1/4 rear to support rooting and the rest will be sand. I have drilled dual drains into the tank. One will feed my algae scrubber, and one will feed directly into the sump which is a majority of bioballs and foam pads. Purigen may be added to my final chemical chamber but I have yet to decide that. I have dual return pumps rated at 600gph each, 2 500gph circulation pumps. My lighting as far as I have been able to measure with my meters is about 70w on a timer planning to be set 8 hours during daylight.
The ray, for the moment is my only planned inhabitant, I have thoughts to add tank mates but only once the ray is completely settled and I learn its mannerisms.
Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated. I am very excited to be apart of this forum and own my first ray.

asomeone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
But work-in-progress photos are sometimes the best photos!
noooo I'm self conscious until everything is perfect. Once its all up and running I will post my process and be happy to answer any questions regarding any of it. I would assume my computing monitoring system would be the "high point" 2 weeks until its up and running!

asomeone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Just looking for advice at this point. Based on the information I've given, does it seem sufficient?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You would likely get some good advice posting in the ray forum. They could tell you if there is anything else needed or not. I think your setup sounds awesome and I can’t wait to see pictures!

Reactions: Davidiator

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sounds like a cool setup.
I would put way more than 5 tetras in to get the cycle going in a 500 gallon system. 5 tetras won't produce enough ammonia to grow your bacteria.

Reactions: asomeone

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Being a ray keeper I would scrap the plans for any plants on the bottom. They will be ripped out as fat as you can plant them unless they are fixed to a piece of driftwood

What are you dimensions of your 350? In
my opinion it might end up a little cramped for a motoro depending on if it is male or female. I would look for a marble motoro or hystrix

As for the cycle you will need alot more then 5 tetras. The amount of ammonia that is produced by a fresh water ray is huge. My thoughts on cycling is that you should add your existing media and dose with pure ammonia or cut up a fillet of fish and leave it in the tank for a week or so for a source of ammonia.

As for your pumps I would aim for a higher turnover rate. About 2500gph.

Reactions: asomeone
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store