New guy making his intro

asomeone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Being a ray keeper I would scrap the plans for any plants on the bottom. They will be ripped out as fat as you can plant them unless they are fixed to a piece of driftwood

What are you dimensions of your 350? In
my opinion it might end up a little cramped for a motoro depending on if it is male or female. I would look for a marble motoro or hystrix

As for the cycle you will need alot more then 5 tetras. The amount of ammonia that is produced by a fresh water ray is huge. My thoughts on cycling is that you should add your existing media and dose with pure ammonia or cut up a fillet of fish and leave it in the tank for a week or so for a source of ammonia.

As for your pumps I would aim for a higher turnover rate. About 2500gph.
Thanks for the helpful advice! It is 96x36x24.
Ah alright from what I was able to find on care sheets I thought it'd be a decent fit but I definitely will look into those 2 you mentioned!
I was just going to add fish from my exsisting tank so I wouldn't be worried about overstock when the stingray came, but the fillet is an interesting idea. Raw, or cooked? Any fish? Wouldn't such a massive ammonia spike destroy any bb?
Well I guess I'm gonna have 4 return pumps since I already purchased the 2 1200gph haha. More redundancy anyway.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I look forward to showing you my finished product

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Raw, or cooked? Raw, don't cook it. When you begin feeding your raw this type of food, don't cook it then either.
Any fish? Get plain ole unseasoned cod from the grocery store.
Wouldn't such a massive ammonia spike destroy any bb? No, that is the bacteria's job to break it down. If you were to move some media from your existing tank over to this one, it would simply multiply due to the increased amount of ammonia. BB can be thought of as supply and demand. As supply of ammonia goes up, demand for BB increases, additional BB develop to handle the increased load.

My preferred way to feed BB in a fishless tank is dosing with pure ammonia, super clean, no rotting fish, etc. but either way will work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: asomeone
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store