New Malawi fish ID help

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
Picked up what I thought where 3 small mylochromis lateristriga from my LFS about a month back and after getting them home I realized two of the 3 where a different fish ?? Think I've got it narrowed down to either buccochromis rhoadesii or buccochromis lepturus green. what do you guys think. Also first pic is of one of the buccos in front of the Mylochromis

the buccos Im trying to id.

Same fish but with no stripe down side. He does this when he see's the other bucco that looks like him.

same fish with stripe starting to fade

thanks for your time and help,

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
After looking around a bit I believe the two are buccochromis rhoadesii yellow lepturus. Please correct me if Im wrong.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
So hard to tell. I feel it’s like that with a lot of haps. You get a new fish, feed it, watch it grow, and wait... and wait... wondering if it’s male or female or even the fish you thought!

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
Thanks for the replys , Ya so hard to tell what you got sometimes and agree you just have to wait and see what they grow into. My fish are about 2" long so I'm sure color and body shape will change.

Also, with the Bucco Lep yellow it looks like there are some with more of a pointed face like and some with the standard rounded head. Here is a pic of bucco Lep yellows with the pointed head. Looks vary similar to the fish in my third pic.

either way looking forward to seeing what these guys grow up to be.

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
Nope looks like I was wrong again lol. think i got a positive ID though.

Champsochromis spilorhynchus

here are a couple pics of small spilos i found online

Grown up models

Reactions: markstrimaran

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
Couple new pics of the pair if un id'ed malawi haps. Still trying to get a positive id on the two.
They've double in size and are about 3" each now.

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
Thanks for the reply. I dont know man, my LFS has had many Chrysti's in different sizes over the years and none have looked like the two fish I picked up. Completely different head structure on the chrysti's and Chrysti's have a dark band of melanin along the bottom of the dorsal fin which my fish have never shown.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store