New Monster Tank......Needs repair. Suggestions?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Well I picked my first tank that is big enough to be considered "Monster" this weekend. Never thought I'de ever own one this big but I guess the saying "The best things come to those who wait" actually has some truth to it. Best part about it..... I didn't even have to leave Iowa to get them.

So here it is.........

It's a 300 Gallon Clarity Plus brand acrylic. Dimensions are 8 by 2 by 2.5 tall. And this thing is plumbed for beyond rediculous filtration. I will more than likely be plumbing it into a 125 gallon sump and running a pump big enough for between 15-20 times turnover rate. I'm sure my Armatus will love it.

So here's the problem. Here's where I need some helpfull suggestions. I need to fix this.........

One of the top braces is cracked. I imagine I sandwich it with a piece of 1/4 inch acrylic on the top and bottom. Problem is I have NO clue what to use for glue? Plastic epoxy? Should I add a few dowel type pieces to assure the glue doesn't fail?

Second problem. The back bows........

This thing is 1/2 thick acrylic......EXCEPT for the back. For some stupid unknown reason they decided to double layer 1/4 inch. Any suggestions for bracing the back to prevent more bowing or do I just say "F" it and fill it and forget it?

Basically I need to know what the best thing is to glue acrylic?

To anyone that is willing to offer some advice.... I THANK you in advance..... It is much appreciated.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Yeah, it's one of the braces. The other ones fine.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
I thought you were getting out of the hobby

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
^^ Out of the hobby??? LMAO. No man, I upgraded. You can't get out of the hobby if no one will buy anything. So I bought a tank big enough to keep almost everything I have in.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Maybe build a hood the fits very snug and that will become the brace, nice pick up

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
Use an acrylic cement called WELD ON. I would cement the two pieces together and then sandwich a piece top and bottom.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Where do I get this Weld On stuff?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store