New MONSTER uarus...

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
its a shame they dont stay that colour - having said that adult uarus are still beautiful - great to see them in a group as they are sociable cichlids - i was mortified the last time i went to one of my lfs and they had two for sale - they sold one to a customer and the other was left on his own!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
lungfishlover;4655722; said:
its a shame they dont stay that colour - having said that adult uarus are still beautiful - great to see them in a group as they are sociable cichlids - i was mortified the last time i went to one of my lfs and they had two for sale - they sold one to a customer and the other was left on his own!
The biggest group I've kept in the past is 5, so I'll be interested to see how these guys go and in such a big tank too. I've kept them in pairs, trios, singly, and the group of 5, and I've found as young [still with juvi colours] they are quite sociable, but as they get older they tend to either become more individuals or pairs.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Heheh, ya got me too.

Beautiful juvies you have there. It will be nice to watch them grow as a group together, pretty cool. I hope to see a update thread on these guys in the future.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
felixxx;4655647; said:
you got me! big uarus seem uncommon. would love to see a 12"er!

Here is a 13 incher,had 4 but as they got older this one acually killed the rest,they seem to be more social when they are younger,it is in a 180 with other large fish and holds his own really well(actually runs the tank)
Far difference from their juvie colors.
DSC02805.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Beautiful looking fish, I actually prefer the adult look to the juvi colours. And I agree about them being capable of holding their own, I wouldn't keep them with aggro CA cichlids, but they're not wussy by any means.

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
How fast do you think yours will grow? I've had mine for almost a year and he doesn't seem to have grown at all while the other fish in the same tank with him have added at least 2" in less time.

sampster5000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Gorgeous fish. How many would yall recommend to keep in a 75 gallon? Or is that too small?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
75g is border-line (48x18x18" eh?), but could probably house a pair ok.

johnnycoolxx;4656604; said:
How fast do you think yours will grow? I've had mine for almost a year and he doesn't seem to have grown at all while the other fish in the same tank with him have added at least 2" in less time.
How big is it? It could have become stunted from staying in a small tank at the LFS too long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store