New Oscar Tank, 120g

NewMomma2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2017
How do I feed these guys without them jumping out? As soon as I walk towards the tank, they start jumping and knock the glass lid! I have had to rescue Peanut Butter twice! He jumps right for my face. Also, I really want a Senegal birchir. Do you guys think I could have one in this tank? I have kept violet gobies before, but I understand birchir are obligated carnivores, so need to be fed a strictly meat diet. So, like shrimp and salmon? How do you meet their vitamin needs? I have fish vitamin powder, and I can inject this into my crickets before I feed them if needed. I have wanted one forever and finally have a big enough tank. I think my Oscars are big enough to not be lunch, and my lfs has the Senegals at 5 inches.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
You could keep a Senegal in there, they do well with Oscars and other cichlids in my experience. They should do just fine eating pellets as a staple and the snacks that you feed your Oscars. After that, I wouldn't add anymore fish, when all are full grown the 120 is going to seem pretty full. But that stocking should be fine.

Reactions: NewMomma2

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Tight lids to keep them in the tank. If your lids are light, put something on top of them. As far as keeping them in while you feed them... an Oscar is going to do its thing. Maybe close the lid over your hand while you put food in there?

NewMomma2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2017
I've resorted to trickery. I walk up, place the food bag on one end of the tank, quickly lift the lid on the other side, and throw in a huge mixed handful of food. My SDs are not afraid of the Oscars anymore, and will try to steal food from them! Nothing makes it to the bottom of the tank. I feed often enough that everybody keeps a gently rounded tummy. I was told that Oscars should look plump bellied as juveniles, and that meant I was feeding enough. Once the spots on their heads fade, to back off on feeding. I feed at least 4 times a day, 4or 5 hikari bio-gold pellets for Peanut Butter and Jelly, a big pinch of algae eater flakes for the SDs, and mini cichlid pellets for my convict, Bonnie. I know I will need to purchase sinking carnivore pellets for the Senegal, but how much to feed him?
Is the rounded tummy rule work for them?

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
I've always fed my Oscars until they start blowing food out of their gills or mouth. then i put a few more pellets in. The busted pellets and pieces sink and feed the other fish. I feed them twice a day usually, but occasionally once a day I've never heard of feeding them until their head spots fade, but if it works, keep on trucking.

NewMomma2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2017
I meant to feed super frequently until their head spots spots fade, meaning once they are past the young juvenile stage, the spots fade, so then you know to move to twice daily feedings instead of 4+ feedings a day. Here is a pic of Jelly, enjoying some banana.The driftwood in the back is a foot long for size comparison. These guys have hit 4.5 inches and are growing as fast as I think is possible, lol! Bonnie, the con, also loves banana, and the tug of war is hilarious to watch! I think Jelly is gonna grow up to be a stunner!mom2 002.jpg

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Ahh, I see now what you meant. That is a good looking juvenile Oscar you have there. I'm about to cut down the amount of feedings in my tank from twice a day, seven days a week to maybe 10 feedings total and see how they react.

NewMomma2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2017
I noticed some white poop yesterday. The SDs are especially stringy. I am starting piperazine in baby crickets to clear it up. A 7 day course works for me most of the time. I don't treat the water column itself, because I have had worms that didn't respond to it. Every time I have them eat it, I have had a 100% success rate. I put socks on my filter intake to catch the paralysed worms, and stir my gravel an hour after every treated feed. What does you guy's worming protocol entail?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I noticed some white poop yesterday. The SDs are especially stringy. I am starting piperazine in baby crickets to clear it up. A 7 day course works for me most of the time. I don't treat the water column itself, because I have had worms that didn't respond to it. Every time I have them eat it, I have had a 100% success rate. I put socks on my filter intake to catch the paralysed worms, and stir my gravel an hour after every treated feed. What does you guy's worming protocol entail?
Charney Charney
P predatorkeeper87
kno4te kno4te
J jaws7777 [/USER]

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
N NewMomma2

Sd's are nice and all but i hated mine. They would out compete the oscar for food which ia quite hard to do. I eventually rehomed them just because of the added bioload.

Oscars are easy to give a varied diet too since they have such large appetites. I like new life spectrum and omega one. Fruits are great for O's but make sure their staple is a quality pellet.

The white stringy poo could be from internal parasites. Ive used tetra parasite gaurd with success in the past.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store