New petco flowerhorn.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
View attachment 1417613
View attachment 1417614

Im starting to mix in some redworms and frozen bloodworms since he's readily eating pellets now.
Hes looking really nice... why bother feeding blood worms when hes eating good healthy pellets? Sorry but bloodworms and cichlids scare me now lol

Either way good job raising him... what his size now... seems very slow growing for amount of time you've had him no?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hes looking really nice... why bother feeding blood worms when hes eating good healthy pellets? Sorry but bloodworms and cichlids scare me now lol

Either way good job raising him... what his size now... seems very slow growing for amount of time you've had him no?
Ive had good results with mixing in some live and frozen in the past....not every feeding mind you. Maybe once every other day at this point.

I have been hearing bad things about frozen bloodworms though. Maybe i will stick to redworms from out of the garden for now.

Growth has definitely been slow. Hes maybe 4.5" TL now. Like i said before whatever infection he got a few months ago almost ended him. I was surprised he survived. Im really hoping for a dramatic rebound and growth spurt now that hes showing some real FH behavior like glass banging and eating everything in sight.

Thanks for following along.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Ive had good results with mixing in some live and frozen in the past....not every feeding mind you. Maybe once every other day at this point.

I have been hearing bad things about frozen bloodworms though. Maybe i will stick to redworms from out of the garden for now.

Growth has definitely been slow. Hes maybe 4.5" TL now. Like i said before whatever infection he got a few months ago almost ended him. I was surprised he survived. Im really hoping for a dramatic rebound and growth spurt now that hes showing some real FH behavior like glass banging and eating everything in sight.

Thanks for following along.
a cichlid i will never own again probably but one that i truly love... i just have bad luck with them and have made mistakes... bloodworms were one of them lol... post up some videos some time... its nice hes starting to show some personality... really nice looking FH

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
a cichlid i will never own again probably but one that i truly love... i just have bad luck with them and have made mistakes... bloodworms were one of them lol... post up some videos some time... its nice hes starting to show some personality... really nice looking FH
I plan to get some better footage when i get him into his new tank. Hes currently in one of my junkyard tanks which was made from very scratched up glass which makes photography tough.

My tank upgrades keep getting delayed due to my incompetence as a tankbuilder, but i may put him in one of my spare 75s soon.

Was there a specific brand of bloodworms you had trouble with? Ive used the omega one cubes in the past and only sparingly. Come to think of it though, i was feeding bloodworms when he became ill last...

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I plan to get some better footage when i get him into his new tank. Hes currently in one of my junkyard tanks which was made from very scratched up glass which makes photography tough.

My tank upgrades keep getting delayed due to my incompetence as a tankbuilder, but i may put him in one of my spare 75s soon.

Was there a specific brand of bloodworms you had trouble with? Ive used the omega one cubes in the past and only sparingly. Come to think of it though, i was feeding bloodworms when he became ill last...
The bloodworms I beleive just dont digest well.. flowerhorns are so hybridized they have poor digestion... then you get short bodies and bonsai and it's a whole new story... my 2 flowerhorns were a "medium" body and a short body... I never fed them bloodworms much... but it doesnt take much... and what benefit do bloodworms give your flowerhorn... also I have tried over and over again to get my JD off of bloodworms... going as long as 2 months without feeding... will not take pellets... I'm assuming she wont have a very long life not getting any nutrients other than the little bit the bloodworms give her... I've tried everything

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store