New phone scam

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
We just got an alert at work about this new phone scam. It rings once and tries to get you to call back out of curiosity. The call back number then pings to a different country where there are fees applied that the scammer receives.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
We just got an alert at work about this new phone scam. It rings once and tries to get you to call back out of curiosity. The call back number then pings to a different country where there are fees applied that the scammer receives.
I have a co-worker that has to answer every call, known or unknown. He'll call back the unknown number if he missed the call.
I'm like: Dude, what the F is wrong with you? I guess some people just can't handle the curiosity.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Weirdly this happened to me very late last night (when I usually wouldn't get any call), but I didn't call it back -- out of laziness, didn't know about this scam, Thx for sharing.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I believe for most telemarketing you can opt out, then if they call again after a certain period you can get them hit with a fine... Not sure what legislation happens in different areas but alas. Telemarketing isn't fun, good for spotting the scam!
This was suppose to happen in America years ago but it blew over and they are back in full force.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Same here. If you pick up the phone they call more. Let the answering machine answer.
I used to tease my wife about not answering her cell if she did not recognize the number but now I employ the same practice.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Smart lady.
I used to answer but now I'm at the point where I don't want to talk to any strange people on the phone....especially someone who I'll have difficulty understanding what they are trying to say.

Reactions: LBDave

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I used to answer but now I'm at the point where I don't want to talk to any strange people on the phone....especially someone who I'll have difficulty understanding what they are trying to say.
I hate when I'm expecting a call(and don't know their number). So, sure enough...the first phone call is a telemarketer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store