New pick up - P14 hybrid

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Was sold the below pair as a p14 hybrid.
3 months old.

Honestly i don't think I am an experienced enough ray keeper to get such young pups but never try never know

They had started eating but somehow their consumption seems to be very little....

How much should they eat.. their diet is the last picture and the breeder told me it should last more than 1 week

20180120_204033.jpg 20180120_203950.jpg 20180120_141745.jpg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
They look like juvenile P14 based on their patterns. They should be eating a great deal. I would try for 3+ feedings daily, 2 at the minimum. You will need to cut the flesh of that fish very fine into small pieces almost mush for them to eat it and fit in their mouths. Don't leave the uneaten food to decay. You can also feed finely chopped shrimp, squid, various seafoods. Worms are also great foods for young pups. You will need to maintain very high water quality which will be a challenge feeding so heavily and frequently. So be prepared to perform frequent, large water changes.

I see a cord in the tank. Does that lead to the a heater? Is you heater covered? An exposed heater will badly burn your stingrays.

P14 are the key to many exotic hybrid stingrays. You fish have potential no matter what they were crossed with. Read the "Sticky" threads at the top of the stingray forum for more information that will help you care for them.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks diselhybrid

The cord is my submersible pump. I do not run any heaters
I fed them this morning and they pounced on the food but again not much... just a couple fine cut pieces
I remove the food within an hour should I remove earlier
Intend to get some live ghost shrimp for them
Understand water quality got to be at its best thus I am really understocking it

Thanks again for helping

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
G Galantspeedz ... my experience compared to probably most of you is very little...
However, I have raised a number of very small pups..
It appears every time we import any.. Im sure they send us the smallest pups they have and some have been a HUGE challenge

My P14 pair was the biggest chalenge.. I found them to be (and still are a year later) much less aggressive feeders than the Leos, hybrids or the BD who pounce and go crazy
The P14's ate but much slower and less at a serving
Eventually I resorted to earthworms to get them through the first few months and put some size on them faster
Its a bit of a pain because then you have to get them used to fish or prawn again but today they eat anything

Yet.. still today they eat enough but they take their time eating and dont fight and go crazy at feeding time

All the best with your new babies

Reactions: Matteus and DanHOB

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks MariaS

The pups were not imported but I got it from a hobbyist with many bug rays and breeding. He live about 15mins from my place

They do eat every warning but very little that's all

Tried live ghost shrimp.. they ignored but now it seems tjey may have ate as I noticed almost no ghost shrimp left

The hobbyist who sold me the rays ask me to avoid live feeders as he do not feed them live feeders

Guess I just have to feed their usual diet of kunning or alao known as yellow tail shad

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid MariaS MariaS

i am likely getting another 3 BD pups later... 2 female and 1 male to complete the collection

can i have advice on water change? As rays are more sensitive to bad water or changes in water parameters.... is 20-30% twice weekly better than 50-60% change weekly?

i am more inclined on the twice weekly

Reactions: MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
[QUOTE="Galantspeedz, post: 7872175, member: 155106"] Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid MariaS MariaS [/QUOTE] MariaS MariaS

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yes total is 5 and the tank is 5ft x 3ft x 2ft but I fill it up to about 1.75ft also is about 600 litres

The filter box is 5ft x 1ft x 1ft so I estimate it to be about another 200 litres

So total will be about 700-800 litres of water.

My concern of changing of 50% is upsetting the water parameters though it is consistent

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Yes total is 5 and the tank is 5ft x 3ft x 2ft but I fill it up to about 1.75ft also is about 600 litres

The filter box is 5ft x 1ft x 1ft so I estimate it to be about another 200 litres

So total will be about 700-800 litres of water.

My concern of changing of 50% is upsetting the water parameters though it is consistent

I understand your concern... maybe do 30% two or three times a week now and as they get a little bigger slowly increase the volume?
Lets see what the more experienced say...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store