New Pickups!

fishfreak69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
South Carolina
Haven't quite updated in a while but here are some pictures of some recent pickups.

Aristochromis Chrystii "Malawi Hawk"-- These are REALLY cool in the fact that they have a very distinct "aristocratic" face from the greek/roman days; hence the name "aristochromis." They are a very COOL fish but don't let them fool you as their body structure and mouth diameter is very much like a Dimidiochromis Compressicep. I very much LOVE these fish and would urge you to get a nice male or group if you can snag some of them up for a descent price..

Boulengerochromis Microlepsis "Emperor Cichlid"-- These are "supposedly" the largest **AFRICAN** cichlid known to man. I have done some research on them and they are NOT the largest cichlid known to man as the cichlasoma's from Brazil can get a little larger than these guys. They are pretty docile now, but, give them a few more months of good feed and these guys will be in the 10-18" range very soon! They are a VERY cool golden yellow and as they mature will get blue/greenish spots on their gill plates and body. Definately a NICE pickup I was able to snag!

Dimidochromis Compressicep Reg/Albino "Malawi Eye Biter"-- These are a very OVERRATED PREDATORIAL type of fish. The ones I have kept and am currently keeping are not that agressive and are pretty docile towards other tankmates. Granite, if there are 3" fish or smaller they will definately try and eat them, but, what other predatorial fish wont? They sport all kinds of colors; the regular Compressiceps sport a blue body with red/orange hues in the dorsal and anal fin as well as black tips on each respectively. The albino compressipes have a "pearl" look to them.

Placidochromis Milomo VC10 "Big Lips"-- These are another cool placidochromis species sporting vertical bars throughout the body. The thing that is cool about these is that once they are properly mature the blues start turning into PURPLES!! They also have big lips, but, if you can snag up a F0 specimen be prepared to see SOME HUGE LIPS!! I had a few of them, and if I can find the pictures I will load them.
(Maturing Male- You can see the blues, and, a tint of purple!)

(Mature Male- You can see the blues turning into purples!)

<<<<<<Another closely related Placidochromis genus>>>>>>>
These are Placidochromis johnstoni "Kachimungi"

A very cool and VERY colorful placidochromis. You can see ALL the colors that these guys sport! You should defintely get one as these wll mature into beatuiful fish!

Lethrinops sp. Red Cap from Itungi Port-- These are another cool and VERY COLORFUL fish. They can get very colorful, but, will only do so in a species only setting. They have to feel comfortable so you can see their full potential. If you have the extra room I would p/u some of these as they will not LET you down!!

Protomelas Ornatus (flavimanus)-- These are pretty cool and very colorful also. These fish, if wild, will get HUGE lips as I have some Lobochilus' right now that have HUGE lips. I am trying to get them to breed but it is taking some time. They arrived very emmaciated and are now about fully recovered after about 1 month of having them. The ornatus' (as in the picture) sport a nice blue body with yellow highlights through the fins!!

Buccochromis cf. Spectabilis-- These are probably the LEAST agressive type of buccochromis out there. Probably a toss up between them and the nototania's; with my experience the noto's are a little more agressive especially with females to drive them crazy. The spectabilis' will color A LOT faster than any other Bucco's. They sport a blue body with a yellow anal fin. These are just now becoming popular among hobbyists like myself and should be available from a lot of breeders/retailers.

Stigmatochromis spilostictus (AKA Mylochromis)-- These torpedo shaped haps are very much like champs except that their face is more angled then a champs. They do look very cool when all yiked up. The male pictured is in breeding dress and what they look like. A very cool torpedo shaped mylochromis or stigmatochromis, which ever you prefer, but, I believe they are listed as stigmatochromis species in Ad Konings book!

Hope you enjoyed!

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
those are some AWESOME fish!! ill give u the address on where to send that alino eyebiter and malawi hawk :D:D:D:D

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
Nice pickups! I should really get into some cichlids......

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Nice africans. The aristochromis chrystii are awesome! I need to go and get some myself. They are so stunning, probably one of my most favorite haps ever. Do you know where to get some?

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Really really nice fish, fishfreak, and thank you very much for not only sharing your beautiful pics, but some info on them as well.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Some serious predators you got there.

The Albino Comp. is awesome, can't wait for another update in 3 months.;)

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Love them!!!

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
The Aristochromis Chrystii is frikken cool as can be!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store