New pike - Crenicichla lenticulata "red spot"

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
Got my first pike a little over a week ago! Crenicichla lenticulata, allegedly a "red spot", about 7-8" long. Going on the advice I got in my other thread, I've got him (her?) temporarily in a 40 breeder with some driftwood and Indian almond leaves to hopefully counteract my hard, high pH tap water. He was looking pretty sharp so I thought I'd post some pics.

pike1.jpg pike2.jpg pike3.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Your KH will determine if the leaves will do anything to soften the water. My water has a KH of 8 degrees and a water hardness of 22 degrees (GH). It takes about 2 cups of sphagnum peat moss to lower the 12 cups of water to about half that hardness, so my water is very hard and a few leaves wouldn't even dent the hardness of it.

But, I would add enough tannins to give your water a light brown tint. My pike hasn't had an HITH issues since I bought her more than 4 years ago, and I have been adding tannins since the first year that I had her.

Reactions: Seedy J and kno4te

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Congrats! Good looking! What are you going to have for tank mates?
I've been doing a lot of reading on crenecichlids lately. I want to do one (or a pair) and maybe 4 or 5 goes, and MAYBE two cichla for a 220 I have that I am working on.
Look forward to updatesa

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
IMG_1319.JPG PIKE.jpg Be careful with tank mates....Mine is similar size and looks....She chases but does not harm my SD....she leaves my Vampire Pleco and Syndont cat alone completely. Avoid any other Pikes for sure!! Lots of personality but territorial and aggressive for sure!! Heres mine...could be twins!

Reactions: Seedy J

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
It takes about 2 cups of sphagnum peat moss to lower the 12 cups of water to about half that hardness
12 cups = 0.75 gallons? That's a heck of a lot of moss! I'll definitely give it a try though. It's been a while since I tested hardness but I think I have 5-6 KH and 11 GH. Do you put the moss in your filter or can it just be in a bag in the tank?

Congrats! Good looking! What are you going to have for tank mates?
Tank mates will be these guys once they get bigger:

sds.jpg

I may add another SA cichlid or pleco, but I don't want the tank (135g) to be overcrowded.

View attachment 1342872Heres mine...could be twins!
Maybe they knew each other :grinyes:. That's a really cool SD too.

Reactions: Chefken

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
12 cups = 0.75 gallons? That's a heck of a lot of moss! I'll definitely give it a try though. It's been a while since I tested hardness but I think I have 5-6 KH and 11 GH. Do you put the moss in your filter or can it just be in a bag in the tank?
The moss will turn into a dust storm in the tank. I used a coffee maker with a coffee filter, and tested the water once cooled to room temperature.

You will have to play around with how much peat to put in so that your KH does not get below 4 degrees.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I use Almond leaves and drftwood to keep my PH between 6-6.5. I add 5-8 leaves at a time and at least 12 or so per month. They break down pretty quick. My water has a nice tint and the fish are loving it. I originally had two Lents from same vendor. the larger female hounded and eventually killed the male. The rock scape in my tank made it impossible to catch the pikes. I had three people want to buy him.....could not catch him. Sucked.

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Just curious if any of you guys have tried this....
Ever see the coconut bark substrate for reptiles? I wonder if it was kept in a fine mesh bag if it would leech out tannins and lower ph?
Just a thought that popped in my head. I have no idea if it would work or be beneficial or detrimental. Just thinking out loud...

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Just curious if any of you guys have tried this....
Ever see the coconut bark substrate for reptiles? I wonder if it was kept in a fine mesh bag if it would leech out tannins and lower ph?
Just a thought that popped in my head. I have no idea if it would work or be beneficial or detrimental. Just thinking out loud...
The ability to lower the PH will depend on the KH value. Adding tannins, enough to cause a light brown tint, will not lower PH when is high KH, like 8 degrees.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store