New pond started

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Made a bit of progress, Started digging again it was 104 with heat index. Realized dirt falling in was going to be an issue so started to build a retaining wall at low end from left over deck removal. Also simplified design one huge oval 26’x60’ 30” shallow end 54” deep end. Not sure I have enough dirt so I will just keep on digging.
Would make the deep end as deep as you can

Reactions: davemal

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Made a bit of progress, Started digging again it was 104 with heat index. Realized dirt falling in was going to be an issue so started to build a retaining wall at low end from left over deck removal. Also simplified design one huge oval 26’x60’ 30” shallow end 54” deep end. Not sure I have enough dirt so I will just keep on digging.
Would make the deep end as deep as you can it allows for a cool area in summer and allows hibernation in winter

Reactions: Matteus

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
The dirt looks very chalky. You're going to have to keep the pond wall very sloped or you'll have a cave in.
With the natural slope of the property, I would of left the right side at grade and dig into the left side. It will be more natural looking to me and won't obstruct any view.
I don't want to rain on your parade but to me the way you got it planned it will require fill behind the fence to hold the pressure. If that wall ever fails prepare for a tidal wave. Just my two cents.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Oh, forgot to mention that if this is a liner pond, rats/mice love to chew on the liner. They like to go between the liner and wood and any rocks. I've patched many holes which is a losing battle. Basically anywhere above ground and dry they will nest.
I have a thread on this rodent issue a few years ago. I think we dropped a new liner in the pond after many patches only to have it damaged again. We ended up replacing it with a hard plastic molded pond. Just a heads up.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Oh, forgot to mention that if this is a liner pond, rats/mice love to chew on the liner. They like to go between the liner and wood and any rocks. I've patched many holes which is a losing battle. Basically anywhere above ground and dry they will nest.
I have a thread on this rodent issue a few years ago. I think we dropped a new liner in the pond after many patches only to have it damaged again. We ended up replacing it with a hard plastic molded pond. Just a heads up.
I always like to encourage certain snake species around ponds, most rat snakes work.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
looks great are you using a mini digger? 54inch is a good depth for koi, but if you can 72 inch is better. Hope it all goes well cant wait to see it finished

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store