New possible stingray tank - need help

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
From your 1st post.
Width : 120(cm)/47,24(in) ( could extend this to 150cm but idk if my girlfriend will accept.

If I misunderstood I apologize.
Im going to build a 180cm by 120cm rightnow( if really need i could make this 200 by 130 ), and upgrade to a 8.8' by 6.2' within 3-4 years from now. what kind of species could i keep and how many for howlong untill i need to upgrade without overstocking / keeping them in a cramped place. I want to give my rays enough space and not keep em too small for too long.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Hystrix are slow growers and don't get real big. I use a 24" × 48" for a pup grow out tank, marbles out grow the tank in 6 months or less. If you keep the water really good, the tank size won't limit their growth.

Reactions: Clothsack

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
Hystrix are slow growers and don't get real big. I use a 24" × 48" for a pup grow out tank, marbles out grow the tank in 6 months or less. If you keep the water really good, the tank size won't limit their growth.
Its not only about if the tank is big enough, but also about wich species i can keep and how many and for howlong untill i have upgrade and howmany i can keep after the upgrade. I really want to keep rays and take proper care for them, but i just need some more information about what species and howmany and for howlong :)

What would u guys reccomend?

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyone
Its not only about if the tank is big enough, but also about wich species i can keep and how many and for howlong untill i have upgrade and howmany i can keep after the upgrade. I really want to keep rays and take proper care for them, but i just need some more information about what species and howmany and for howlong :)

What would u guys reccomend?
Anyone?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
There are so many variables, individual rays of the same species have different growth rates and max size. Females generally grow much faster and get bigger than males. The better approach with rays is to decide what species you really like, how many you want, and build your system to accommodate them. You might not be ready to keep rays with your current space limitations. You will really want to be sure your ready for rays before you get them, they take a tremendous amount of space, time, and money to care for properly. Not a decision to be taken lightly.

Reactions: Clothsack

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I think you could keep any species of Ray you want in a 6x4, being you only keep a pair. If you have plans to upgrade to that 9x6 in 3 years then heck you could probably keep half a dozen of any rays you want

mun1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Singapore
Maurice, I think you have a good tank for rays! I have a pair of P14s and they are only in a 80cm width. I did make an effort to find small specimens though, if my rays grow any larger, will need to switch!

I think your 6ft by 4ft tank can be used for the smaller species. I won't hesitate to put a trio of hystrix in a 6 by 4. But maybe just a pair of smaller P14s or other larger species.

I do prefer 2 female and 1 male combos. Sometimes I feel my female P14 gets pestered a bit much despite her larger size.

Last edited:

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
There are so many variables, individual rays of the same species have different growth rates and max size. Females generally grow much faster and get bigger than males. The better approach with rays is to decide what species you really like, how many you want, and build your system to accommodate them. You might not be ready to keep rays with your current space limitations. You will really want to be sure your ready for rays before you get them, they take a tremendous amount of space, time, and money to care for properly. Not a decision to be taken lightly.
Thank you for the information,
The species i really like are motoros, bd, leo , henlei and marbled maybe some hybrids too , close to my area someone had BDxHenlei pups forsale and also other breeds are easy to get in my area. A had a good talk with my Gf and she allowed me to go 250x140x60cm(8.2'x4.5'x2') this will make 2100liter/550Gal and when the garage is finished i allowed to build a 320x200x100cm(10.5'x6.5'x3.2')6400liter/1680gal pure plywood for better isolation.

I think these are better dimenions then before. And i might keep the small tank for pup growout when the big tank is build in the garage.

Will i be able to keep a pair of the rays above in the 250x150x60/8.2'x4.5'x2'?

If this isnt enough to start out im going to wait to build the bigger tank in the garage.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store