New Ray tank arrived today

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Thanks for the info toby and im trying richard lol.

Steve

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4191941; said:
Sorry no pics yet, I have spent the whole weekend getting it running, I have moved over some mature filters and moved in a Fire Eel. I have also added Tetra aqua safe.

The sump is working brilliantly.

My Wife and I argued to get to the size we have and then yesterday she said "oh, you could have gone 6 inches wider" aaarrrggghh

The shop mentioned the other day that it was 72X3X3 and not 72X32X24 and with a measure up it is 6X32X32 whic gives a little more volume for the Rays.
if the tank is 32 wide i would get a male pearl and a female marble as i think thats what you said you were getting

my last tank was 32 wide and when the p14 got to 3 years old they were running out of space fast so i would say a adult female pearl would even out grow a 36 wide tank

adult pearls and motoro are massive but i think adult male pearls and marble stay a bit smaller

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Yes, The Pearl is a male and he is mature but small so I do not think he will grow much more, the Marble is likely to get much larger but she will probably outgrow the tank within 3 yrs as you say.

The only reason I stopped at 32 wide as that my wife did not want any bigger but alreay she has agreed to a 4ft next time around. I have a space in another room which is 8X4 so would suit well but I think I will have moved my office (based at home) by then and plan to have a pond near my desk.

I am not planning on running 24/7 water change but timed every other day then one large at weekends. My PH in the tap is around 7.5 - 7.8 and I simply plan to leave the water at that, the Koi filter is very like the HMA but runs faster flow rate. I have heard of people with rays at 8PH so do you think this will be ok?

I am about to buy a PH monitor and will keep a close eye on the tank 100% of the time.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4196338; said:
Yes, The Pearl is a male and he is mature but small so I do not think he will grow much more, the Marble is likely to get much larger but she will probably outgrow the tank within 3 yrs as you say.

The only reason I stopped at 32 wide as that my wife did not want any bigger but alreay she has agreed to a 4ft next time around. I have a space in another room which is 8X4 so would suit well but I think I will have moved my office (based at home) by then and plan to have a pond near my desk.

I am not planning on running 24/7 water change but timed every other day then one large at weekends. My PH in the tap is around 7.5 - 7.8 and I simply plan to leave the water at that, the Koi filter is very like the HMA but runs faster flow rate. I have heard of people with rays at 8PH so do you think this will be ok?

I am about to buy a PH monitor and will keep a close eye on the tank 100% of the time.
well as for a ph of 8 im not sure at the mo

i have got mine down to 7 a few times now but im fighting a losing battle so i have my HMA on real slow now to let it go up slow

im hoping once my sump is more mature it will all even out

the sump will take ages to mature as i only had about 50l of old media from my old tank and the sump now has 350l of media :D

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think my sump is similar, I have all the bio media out of my FX5 in an eheim cannister next to the sump which is fully mature, the FX5 sponges I added to the first chamber of the sump and then added new bio balls and and sponges to the rest of the sump (along with a culture of safe start) The sponge design in the sump is really clever as once the bio is done it has a 24X24 box with lips on the top to force water through pond sponges before another weir in to the pump enclosure.

The water hits the sump through a filter sock.

I have been feeding the fire eel massively to kick start the system but the mature media and the safe start seems to be keeping everything in check as no ammonia and no nitrite recorded at all, I am hoping to record some Nitrate this week to prove it is "cycled" by using the old media.

I am about to add another 2 cannisters worth of eheim substrat from a mature tank just to be safe!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4197135; said:
I think my sump is similar, I have all the bio media out of my FX5 in an eheim cannister next to the sump which is fully mature, the FX5 sponges I added to the first chamber of the sump and then added new bio balls and and sponges to the rest of the sump (along with a culture of safe start) The sponge design in the sump is really clever as once the bio is done it has a 24X24 box with lips on the top to force water through pond sponges before another weir in to the pump enclosure.

The water hits the sump through a filter sock.

I have been feeding the fire eel massively to kick start the system but the mature media and the safe start seems to be keeping everything in check as no ammonia and no nitrite recorded at all, I am hoping to record some Nitrate this week to prove it is "cycled" by using the old media.

I am about to add another 2 cannisters worth of eheim substrat from a mature tank just to be safe!
the filter socks are rubbish just get some jap matt for the 1st part of the sump that stuff is great

also use seachem stabilaty thats what i used and i shut my old tank down put all the old media in the sump and moved the fish over the same day with no problems

then got more media when i had the chance it took ages to fill my sump as its 5ft long 30inch x x2ft deep

i went jap matt bio ball alafrog efimech substrate pro K1 then 6 x sheets of polyfilter to polish the water

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
T1KARMANN;4198885; said:
the filter socks are rubbish just get some jap matt for the 1st part of the sump that stuff is great

also use seachem stabilaty thats what i used and i shut my old tank down put all the old media in the sump and moved the fish over the same day with no problems

then got more media when i had the chance it took ages to fill my sump as its 5ft long 30inch x x2ft deep

i went jap matt bio ball alafrog efimech substrate pro K1 then 6 x sheets of polyfilter to polish the water
Why do you not like the filter socks, I have been impressed with them so far (mine look like something from a Swimming Pool manufacturer.)

My eheim really polishes up the water with polymer wool.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Here is a basic pic of the tank as a test, It has not got anything really other than water and a rock and tube. The Rock is coming out, it just had my Fire Eel hiding in it and was easier to transfer.

You can see the two black strainers which are water change to waste and flow to the cannister filter. You can also see the weir in the corner.

This was built in solid oak so cost me a few quid more than a normal stand but it matches my oak furniture.

075.JPG

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4198890; said:
Why do you not like the filter socks, I have been impressed with them so far (mine look like something from a Swimming Pool manufacturer.)

My eheim really polishes up the water with polymer wool.
i have been using polyfilter for years with great results its about 100 x better than normal filter wool expencive but top grade gear

im just not a lover of the socks the water and crap needs to get into the 1st part of the sump the jap mat is much like the 1st part of a can filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store