New Red Tail Species (likely click bait...)

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Good morning people, I just saw a new Predatory Fins post claiming he has "Black Panda Red Tail Catifsh". I have never heard of this before, and the internet does not reveal much about this either. Does anyone know what this is?

Screenshot 2022-02-08 113447.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe a cb black red tail. That’s what I thought when I saw the post by pred fins.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's a similar genetic hiccup to albino or some other color morph only in the opposite direction. Off the top of my head, I'd call it a "melanistic RTC", the antipode of the albino RTC, is all.

You can call it black panda or pink panther or tender-baby-salad-green-colored elephant, if it helps you sell it better. There will be those who will happily gobble it up and thank you for it.

Remember, genetic perversions do not occur one by one but in bunches and if a fish differs from the norm appearance-wise, it also differs from the norm in its internal built, organs, nervous system, etc. and can be guaranteed to not reach the growth rate, size, health, vigor, vitality, immune system strength, and longevity of the norm, and the said deviation can vary wildly but it will for certain fall short of the norm given the same adequate care.

So beware that you may pay $500-$1000 for your color morph or short-body or somehow else perverted RTC, or $60,000 for your albino RTC only for it to kick the bucket for no obvious reason 1, 2, 3, or 5 years later. Sometimes it happens in months from what I hear. Sometimes in years.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't even think that it is melanistic. Most probably from selective breeding all black redtail catfish but I could be wrong. For those who wonder how all black redtail would've looked like when adult
What is the difference between melanistic and all black in your opinion?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
What is the difference between melanistic and all black in your opinion?
Because this came in with all the "melanistic" redtail shipment in my country, it is also been labelled as such. I've seen redtail with few white pattern, it's just a matter of time before they breed all black type. But if it's were true they're melanistic, don't they get even darker than this?

received_2317796195152730.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Because this came in with all the "melanistic" redtail shipment in my country, it is also been labelled as such. I've seen redtail with few white pattern, it's just a matter of time before they breed all black type. But if it's were true they're melanistic, don't they get even darker than this?
I am no expert in coloration of fish. Oddball Oddball I think is. To my simplistic current perception, melanism means excess of melanin in the skin, the dark pigment. I assume it can have gradations just like xanthism, leucism, albinism, etc. can.

So until I am schooled more by someone, to me all black, half black, mostly black, all grey, mostly grey, soot-black, jet-black, raven-black, dirt black, etc. are all degrees of melanistic mutation.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Bump for our resident expert wednesday13 wednesday13

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

View attachment 1387156

Ive seen a few of these guys pop up over the years. Id say the older the reports are the more chances of them being “real” are. This is fairly recent so it may be a man made production or science experiment. Just can’t tell these days for sure unless it was wild caught that way. One good trait of a “true” melanistic would be completely black eyes which this specimen is lacking. I have seen degrees of completely black pigment but they still usually always have the black eyes.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for this wednesday13 wednesday13 haven't you said in some thread recently that the dark babies lose the darkness and grow up into normal-looking RTCs, or am I recalling wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store