New Reef Build

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
How are you liking the peninsula style as far as functionality vs traditional style (back panel drilled)? Do you feel that you're getting adequate skimming and water movement? Do you use stronger return pumps than normal or just use more powerheads on the "front" end of the tank?

Reactions: Lepisosteus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Been in the tank now 2 weeks. He got Ick after the first day I cleaned the glass. Fed him some quality vitamin soaked food, kept nori in the tank constantly and it cleared up in a few days. Again I DO NOT BELIEVE IN QUARANTINE. A tang will not die from Ick. It will die from the stress added by trying to catch it, isolating it in a tiny system, and dosing it with meds.

1A03EC62-562C-4E9C-9D52-BE3962A808AA.jpeg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
How are you liking the peninsula style as far as functionality vs traditional style (back panel drilled)? Do you feel that you're getting adequate skimming and water movement? Do you use stronger return pumps than normal or just use more powerheads on the "front" end of the tank?
Personally I love peninsula style tanks if they fit the room. The overflow location hasn’t changed much in terms of flow. On the one system I have 3 mp40s on 100% pushing about 4000gph each with a 2000gph return pump. The other system has a 2600gph return with two pumps moving about 3300 gph. All flow is located on the overflow side of the tank. I imagine flow would become a problem on a tank in the 6’+ category...we may find out soon. In that situation I feel coral placement becomes more critical. You wouldn’t be placing sps coral on the far end of the tank. On my 5’ tanks, this has not been an issue.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store