New small aquaponics experiment

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A few weeks ago it started with some New Zealand spinach cuttings that grew quickly, and leaves were added to pasta soon after, stems still growing.
fullsizeoutput_1275.jpeg
spinach roots
fullsizeoutput_13fc.jpeg
Next basil cutting were tried in the same manner (holes cut in a egg packaging) and doing well.
fullsizeoutput_1401.jpeg
basil roots
fullsizeoutput_13fb.jpeg
after that a few more herbs were tried with less than stellar results.
Both cilantro and broad leaf parsley simply withered away
fullsizeoutput_13fd.jpeg
and the root ends of green onions, seem to be quite tasty to th Andinoacara, so get dragged into the tank and chewed to bits.
The latest herb attempt are some nubs from Culantro, a broad leaf similar tasting herb to cilantro, so far starting to grow, and left alone by the fish.
fullsizeoutput_1403.jpeg
They float in a 180 gallon tank on the patio, that gets a couple hours of intense morning sun, and some late afternoon indirect sun.
No artificial light at all, pH 8, no detectable nitrate.
Stock is 12 x 3"-5" Panamanian G.T.s, one 4 inch Pleco, two 3" Roeboides tetras, and a 5" Awaous goby
fullsizeoutput_1402.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
:clap I want a tank on the patio too.

My wife wants me to hide it out back in my junkyard where I work on my old cars and boat.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Little leak yet, although after resealing with 3M Adhesive marine sealant, its about 90% less than it was before, at least so far for a couple hours in the morning.
Only leaks when the sun hits the tank directly.
And Matteus, things have never been better than now.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Before my X-wife divorced me, my tanks were all hidden in a corner of the basement.
They weren't the only reason she cast me out, but they were the straw.
I only had one tank when I was single. I bought a larger tank when I married, and another tank, and another etc.
My wife doesn't really freak at all the fish, as she keeps 2 cats and 2 dogs. She understands; but, when I got to ten aquariums my wife told me I was obsessed.

It was always my intention to have larger and fewer tanks. I have retired 2 small ones and now I have 8. One of those became a sump, so eliminated that tank plus made another easier to keep.

But she is concerned that I am stressing myself over the fish when I should be enjoying retirement (and cleaning up my junk.)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Appears as though Culantro is working out as pretty good candidate for aquaponics.
fullsizeoutput_1482.jpeg
Rainy season has finally arrived so tannins are dripping into the tank, and sump from the over hanging foliage, and flower drop, turning the water tea colored.
fullsizeoutput_1480.jpeg
The added soft water from rain and tannins have dropped pH from around 8, to 7.4.
fullsizeoutput_145b.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well it looks like I'm going to have a tank on the patio.
:mwave:
I'm going to have room for it there because I'm tearing down our old chimney.

I hope to grow some edible plants out there. The indoor plants are growing quite well because of the grow light but frankly I just hate having grow lights in my house.

There's enough natural sunlight here that I shouldn't have to worry about it.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Well it looks like I'm going to have a tank on the patio.
:mwave:
I'm going to have room for it there because I'm tearing down our old chimney.

I hope to grow some edible plants out there. The indoor plants are growing quite well because of the grow light but frankly I just hate having grow lights in my house.

There's enough natural sunlight here that I shouldn't have to worry about it.
It gets cool at night in your area, if I lived there, I'd get species from Uruguay that could easily take the temp shifts (they are some of my favorites anyway. I had some that spawned outside in my tanks and ponds in Milwaukee.

above Australoheros sp Red Ceibal with fry in an algae filled outside tank, below, Gymnogeophagus "yerbalito spawning in a pond, where temps would drop into the 50s at night

Below another species of Gymnogeophagus (sp Paso Pache) also with fry, in an outdoor pond in Milwaukee

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store