New Soft Shell Help

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
I’m getting a baby Soft shell after they hatch in Aug.
I have never kept them and the breeder gave me two options a Western Spiny Soft-shell or Midland Smooth Soft-shell which one should I get? And what should I know? I have raised Red Ears before are they anything alike?

MPL89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2006
Massachusetts
First off, the biggest differance between keeping softshell turtles from species such as red eared sliders is that softshell turtles are fully aquatic and don't often bask out of the water. In fact, in nature, the only time they really leave the water at all is to nest. Keeping this in mind, softshell turtles can be kept alot like fish.

Hatchling can be kept in a 10 gal with a substrate of 2-3" of sand. The 10 gal should be filled only about a 1/3 of the way full. Use a submersible heater to keep the water temp between 70 and 80 degrees. To clean the tank simply remove the turtle, carry the tank outside to a hose, dump out as much of the water as you can without loosing any sand and then rinse out the sand freeing all the waste trapped underneath it and then dump out that dirty water and continue doing this until the sand is clean. When you do this it's going to be hard not to lose some of sand but just try your best, you can always add more. The tank needs to be cleaned at least once a week. Softshell turtles are very sensitive to to dirty water and will develop sores and bacterial infections if their tank is not kept clean.

Just because they don't bask out of the water like other turtles doesn't mean they don't bask. In the wild, Instead of basking out of the water they bask in the shallows with their bodies concealed in the mud. With their long snorkle like noses they are able to simply extend their neck to breath instead of coming to the surface. Knowing this, please keep in mind that softshells still require the same amount of light with the proper levels of UVA and UVB that all turtles must have in order to properly grow, develop their shells, and absorb calcium. For your hatchling, you can light it's 10 gal with either a 20" strip light and 18" Zoo Med Repti Sun 10.0 flourecent bulb or heat lamp and 100 watt UVB Powersun heat bulb. The heat lamp and Powersun bulb is the best way to go but is also the most expensive since those bulbs cost between like 40$ and 50$. Either way, you can keep your softshell in a setup like this until it out grows the 10 gal which is around 5" or 6". At this size you should move it to a new tank between 20 and 55 gal where it can live out the rest of it's life.

This bigger tank should have 4-5" of sand and can be filled almost all of the way allowing you to use a power filter which means no more weekly tank cleaning! :headbang2 Don't fill the tank all of the way because you want to leave some room for your turtle to stick his head out of the water to breath and look around. Leave about 2-3" of glass at the top of the tank. Also, to really make sure the tank stays clean use double the filteration you normally would for a fishtank that size. In other words, if you have a 55 gal tank, have a filter or filters that pump at least 400 gph. You can also buy some bottom feeding fish like some of the larger species of catfish to eat any leftover food scrapes. Lastly, now that you have a bigger tank you'll obvi need a bigger light. Again, you can buy another strip light and powerful UVB emitting bulb, or you can just buy another Powersun bulb going up a watt size or two. And don't forget a new submersible heater to handle the next tank size up.

Oops I almost forgot, FEEDING. As with any animal you want to vary your turtle's diet as much as possible. You should feed it commercial turtle pellets, small minnows like red tuffy's, freeze dried krill, crickets, earthworms and other meaty foods. Just remember, when it's a hatchling only feed it foods that are less than half the length of the turtles shell. Depending on how fast you want your turtle to grow, you can feed it daily or every couple days.

Last but not least, to answer your first question "whether you should keep a western spiny or midland smooth" is completely personal preference. You should look at pics on google and see which one appeals more to you. All softshell turtle care is pretty much the same .

Good Luck!

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I'm pretty sure that a softshell needs a larger tank then 20-55 gallon for life. I was always under the impression they need like a 125 or bigger. And I think the babies are supposed to be provided with basking spots.

Chad

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
And how much do you want to pay for a butti. There is one that I could prolly grow to 5" in a month or so.

Chad

MPL89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2006
Massachusetts
Yeah your right, a 20 gal is way too small for an adult but I think 55 gal or larger would be fine. They're not very big turtles. Also, I didn't mean to sound so against giving them basking spots. You can still provide them with one, it's just not crucial because they prob won't use it that much expecially if you get a midland smooth which tend to bask the least of the 4 north american species.

-matt

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
First off, the biggest differance between keeping softshell turtles from species such as red eared sliders is that softshell turtles are fully aquatic and don't often bask out of the water. In fact, in nature, the only time they really leave the water at all is to nest. Keeping this in mind, softshell turtles can be kept alot like fish.

Hatchling can be kept in a 10 gal with a substrate of 2-3" of sand. The 10 gal should be filled only about a 1/3 of the way full. Use a submersible heater to keep the water temp between 70 and 80 degrees. To clean the tank simply remove the turtle, carry the tank outside to a hose, dump out as much of the water as you can without loosing any sand and then rinse out the sand freeing all the waste trapped underneath it and then dump out that dirty water and continue doing this until the sand is clean. When you do this it's going to be hard not to lose some of sand but just try your best, you can always add more. The tank needs to be cleaned at least once a week. Softshell turtles are very sensitive to to dirty water and will develop sores and bacterial infections if their tank is not kept clean.

Just because they don't bask out of the water like other turtles doesn't mean they don't bask. In the wild, Instead of basking out of the water they bask in the shallows with their bodies concealed in the mud. With their long snorkle like noses they are able to simply extend their neck to breath instead of coming to the surface. Knowing this, please keep in mind that softshells still require the same amount of light with the proper levels of UVA and UVB that all turtles must have in order to properly grow, develop their shells, and absorb calcium. For your hatchling, you can light it's 10 gal with either a 20" strip light and 18" Zoo Med Repti Sun 10.0 flourecent bulb or heat lamp and 100 watt UVB Powersun heat bulb. The heat lamp and Powersun bulb is the best way to go but is also the most expensive since those bulbs cost between like 40$ and 50$. Either way, you can keep your softshell in a setup like this until it out grows the 10 gal which is around 5" or 6". At this size you should move it to a new tank between 20 and 55 gal where it can live out the rest of it's life.

This bigger tank should have 4-5" of sand and can be filled almost all of the way allowing you to use a power filter which means no more weekly tank cleaning! :headbang2 Don't fill the tank all of the way because you want to leave some room for your turtle to stick his head out of the water to breath and look around. Leave about 2-3" of glass at the top of the tank. Also, to really make sure the tank stays clean use double the filteration you normally would for a fishtank that size. In other words, if you have a 55 gal tank, have a filter or filters that pump at least 400 gph. You can also buy some bottom feeding fish like some of the larger species of catfish to eat any leftover food scrapes. Lastly, now that you have a bigger tank you'll obvi need a bigger light. Again, you can buy another strip light and powerful UVB emitting bulb, or you can just buy another Powersun bulb going up a watt size or two. And don't forget a new submersible heater to handle the next tank size up.

Oops I almost forgot, FEEDING. As with any animal you want to vary your turtle's diet as much as possible. You should feed it commercial turtle pellets, small minnows like red tuffy's, freeze dried krill, crickets, earthworms and other meaty foods. Just remember, when it's a hatchling only feed it foods that are less than half the length of the turtles shell. Depending on how fast you want your turtle to grow, you can feed it daily or every couple days.

Last but not least, to answer your first question "whether you should keep a western spiny or midland smooth" is completely personal preference. You should look at pics on google and see which one appeals more to you. All softshell turtle care is pretty much the same .

Good Luck!
Thank you very much.:woot:

lovespunaround

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Spartanburg, SC
I disagree about giving a basking spot. I've got a young Gulf Coast spiny who basks all the time. It's important for the turtle to be able to climb out of the water and dry off; it helps to keep fungus from growing on the shell.

For about as long as I've had mine, I've put her in one of those 8"-deep plastic kiddie pools outside under a tree. She gets a few hours of direct sunlight, but the shad is important to keep her water from getting too hot. I put dry leaves in the water for her to hide under and I've got a flat, smooth (smooth is very important) rock so she can bask. The kiddie pool works really well for younger turtles, but softshells can get big (I assume you know this). She's going in an 8'-diameter cattle feeding trough when she gets bigger.

Feeding has pretty much been covered, although I'll add that mine loves crawfish and tadpoles. Just catch them from a clean source and make sure the crawfish aren't too big. She also likes canned cat food, which I feed to all of my turtles. So you can try that.

good luck:)

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
These turtles will need more than a 55 if you happen to get a female. Both species you mentioned will get over a foot long carapace. Trionyx muticus muticus is the smaller of the two, but still gets over a foot. A 55 is only 12 or 13 inches wide that doesn't leave much room for turning around. I would suggest rubbermaid tubs. For the dimensions and price, fish tanks don't even compare. I perfer to just buy the big 300 gallon ones.

The basking thing always comes up with softshells. I see softshells basking on logs fallen into the rivers around here all the time. Big or small, softshells will bask if you give them the chance. Its just that you won't usually see them doing it. Once or twice a week, when I am going to feed the turtles, I will hear two big splashes as they both flop into the water. They hear me coming from a mile away. Very smart and secretive turtles. I have noticed that in captivity, hatchling softshells will be most likley to bask. Almost every day for certain individuals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store