New Stingray.. LFS Description was "Mini Stingray" Need some help

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How wide of a tank are you considering for your Ray? I'm not sure about their speed of growth but they can get almost as big as a manhole cover.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Well the girlfriend and I have to decide on whether we want a big tank for a ray and companions or a reef tank. I was thinking of building one or if i stumble across one on craigslist. I dont want a huge ray, maybe a smaller species but I was thinking of dimensions around 6'x4'x4' or so.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
6x4x2 is plenty for a pair or more. Trio would be great. Would be a great setup. And with that size you could do anything you wanted to do.

Well the girlfriend and I have to decide on whether we want a big tank for a ray and companions or a reef tank. I was thinking of building one or if i stumble across one on craigslist. I dont want a huge ray, maybe a smaller species but I was thinking of dimensions around 6'x4'x4' or so.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Ok cool. we've decided on a stingray tank. Way cheaper and more simple IMO. Should be fun. They're such interesting fish. We may just do a reef in our empty 30g.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
He does look cool, thats why I liked him. Well i guess ill move him to our 10g planted community tank. What would you guys recommend for a first stingray. Of course we're going to get a bigger tank and prepare for it. One LFS gets Motoro's, would these be a good first? I think they're the best option as they're not extremely expensive and I've heard they are hardy too.
I don't beat around the bush so here is my suggestion....If you were thinking a hillstream loach was a stingray then you better do alot more research before even thinking about getting a stingray.

I would also suggest not shopping at that lfs either if they are calling hillstream loaches "mini stingrays" as they don't know anything about fish and you were right by thinking he was an "idiot".

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Yea. I will continue to get my tropical fish and shrimp there. I thought it could've been a stingray because of its shape. I've never saw a small stingray better yet any FW stingray in person so I was clueless. I'm not getting one anytime soon. I will need to upgrade to about a 300 gal before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store