New sw tank

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
luisrcrx;2037233; said:
About how much live rock do i need? I was planing placing a few pieces at each corner with an open flat area in the middle

I would go with 1 lb per gallon if that much.

You dont need more than that you just wind up with dead spots-way less water and tank looks like a rock tank.

I started with 2 lbs per gallon after 3 yrs went with small fish no more reef went with 3/4 lb per gallon tank did even better .

Fish love the rock they love to hide,etc but 3/4 to 1 lb per gallon is plenty for bio and the fish.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
luisrcrx;2063230; said:
just basic dry argonite i was thinking of adding some live sand later after salt and heater

The sand is full of dust and tiny particles that cloud the water. Its best to rinse the sand or put it in bucket,etc stir it around with water and pour out the white milk looking water . BEFORE adding to tank .

Do this few times but since its in your tank if it doesnt clear you may have to shut off your filters and siphon out water add new water.

Than again it may easily clear but if not thats what you have to do. Just siphon out the water add new water do it again DO NOT stir it in tank as sand particles can scratch glass.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Pufferpunk;2056631; said:
If you have a HOB filter laying around, put filter floss in there & change it out whenever it gets clogged.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
Pufferpunk;2080255; said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i think i'll try this next cause i rinsed the sand once already do they make filter floss for an emperor 280?

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
i got a felt filter "sock" and placed it on the intake of my skimmer.
cleared everything up and im stirring the sand once in a while to free up the remaining dust bits. i should be all clear in a few days

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
For future reference--you can buy pillow stuffing at any sewing machine store to use for filter floss--really cheap!

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
i added 20 of live sand this time my salinity is 1.022 witch is what i was shooting for. i will be adding live rock in a few days but not sure how much. I was thinking about 30lbs? let me know what you guys think. and could anyone show me some tank pics i need some ideas thanks

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
wow great setup how many pound of rock is that and how big is your tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store