New tank owner looking to upgrade

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Fair enough on the first part. I would even agree on the ropefish if Ghostknifelover is interested in some.

As for the second part, there is some overlap. Planet Catfish gives pictus catfish temperatures at 22-26 degrees (which overlaps with the 15-25 degrees given by Loaches Online to weather loaches), and the knifefish appears to overlap too (admittedly I found no 'professional' sources for this, but sites like fishkeepingworld and theaquarium guide gave 22.7-28 degrees).
So, provided all those are roughly on point, the temperature requirements of all the fish could be met at 23-25 degrees.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Fair enough on the first part. I would even agree on the ropefish if Ghostknifelover is interested in some.

As for the second part, there is some overlap. Planet Catfish gives pictus catfish temperatures at 22-26 degrees (which overlaps with the 15-25 degrees given by Loaches Online to weather loaches), and the knifefish appears to overlap too (admittedly I found no 'professional' sources for this, but sites like fishkeepingworld and theaquarium guide gave 22.7-28 degrees).
So, provided all those are roughly on point, the temperature requirements of all the fish could be met at 23-25 degrees.
True, I don’t think precise temps are that important, I just read that dojo’s prefer cooler water, but I had no issues with one in a tropical tank. I even had warmouth and bluegill in my tropical tanks before. I’m probably a little biased since if it were me, I’d take a bichir over a dojo lol

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I think I'm probably a bit biased too haha, as you can probably tell I am kind of partial towards weather loaches. Either way I hope Ghostknifelover's choice ends up a good one for them.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I will say that I've had a senegal, probably 8" long, attempt to eat a full grown (5-6" or so) pictus catfish before. Both died I believe, hard to remember the details as this was over a decade ago. But I still remember it happening, was at a family gathering and my uncle pointed out "that fish is trying to eat the other one!"

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I will say that I've had a senegal, probably 8" long, attempt to eat a full grown (5-6" or so) pictus catfish before. Both died I believe, hard to remember the details as this was over a decade ago. But I still remember it happening, was at a family gathering and my uncle pointed out "that fish is trying to eat the other one!"
sad and funny at the same time

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
For Gourami Swami, that sure must have sucked ?

As for the thread, while something like that isn't necessarily guaranteed to happen with a Senegal (considering Joshuakahan's points), I do think the relative sizes should be borne in mind by Ghostknifelover's partner if a Senegal bichir instead of an ornate, endi, or ropefish is what they're set on.

It's also worth bearing in mind if either Ghostknifelover or their partner is interested in the clown loaches, they could be at risk from a Senegal bichir too. It takes them between 2-4 years to get 10-15 cm (close to the size of the pictus catfish Gourami Swami described), in which time a Senegal wouldn't have any trouble getting to 20+ cm.
One or both parties would be badly affected if the Senegal got hungry, because the sizes would be rather off.

In short, getting the sizes right might work with the pictus catfish, but would not work with the clown loaches (unless they're at adult size when a Senegal is introduced) because of their much slower growth. Should the clown loaches and bichir both be 'must haves', I think ornate, endi, or ropefish would be better choices for Joshuakahan's given reasons.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
For Gourami Swami, that sure must have sucked ?

As for the thread, while something like that isn't necessarily guaranteed to happen with a Senegal (considering Joshuakahan's points), I do think the relative sizes should be borne in mind by Ghostknifelover's partner if a Senegal bichir instead of an ornate, endi, or ropefish is what they're set on.

It's also worth bearing in mind if either Ghostknifelover or their partner is interested in the clown loaches, they could be at risk from a Senegal bichir too. It takes them between 2-4 years to get 10-15 cm (close to the size of the pictus catfish Gourami Swami described), in which time a Senegal wouldn't have any trouble getting to 20+ cm.
One or both parties would be badly affected if the Senegal got hungry, because the sizes would be rather off.

In short, getting the sizes right might work with the pictus catfish, but would not work with the clown loaches (unless they're at adult size when a Senegal is introduced) because of their much slower growth. Should the clown loaches and bichir both be 'must haves', I think ornate, endi, or ropefish would be better choices for Joshuakahan's given reasons.
I pretty much agree although I had 5” clown loach with my 14” endi and that was fine. But I’d recommend a delhezi over a Senegal. Dels get a little bigger but don’t eat with nearly the voracity that a Senegal does.All of my Senegal’s were just as if not more voracious than my endi. At least that’s my experience

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Ornate, endli, will eat the pictus/clown loaches. General rule of thumb if it will fit in the fish's mouth, it will be eaten.
Long story short, I wouldn't keep any elongated fish with bichirs. They will be eaten at some point. Some fish the bichirs will eat with no problem, and some like most catfish, have barbs which will get them stuck in the bichir and probably kill the bichir as well.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Honestly I think I agree with you, I was having second thoughts some time after my most recent comment.
Regardless of what Joshuakahan may have experienced with their bichirs, that rule of thumb does stand. So the safest choice is either ropefish or nothing.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think the best way to decide is to prioritize what fish you want and if you’re willing to take a chance. Considering the cost of Senegal’s and pictus. and the fact that there’s a chance of something going wrong although it’s pretty low, I’d say go for what you want. If we were talking P. Bichir bichir and an ornate pim, I’d say it’s not worth the risk. But we’re talking about $5-8 fish, not a huge risk IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store