New Tank Question

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
So i am planning on upgrading from my 60gal to a 125 gal(or 120, whatevers available). I was planning on just selling the fish that out grew the 60gal tank and buy new little ones, and continue the cycle, but now my gf and I are too attached to these fish after watching them grow from babies. Ive only used HOB filters. Would i be able to use like 2 HOB filters for a 120-130gal tank? I just have 0 experience w canister filters, i wouldnt even know what part goes into the water?.
any input regarding the difference between a 60 and a 120 would be appreciated.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
twice as much filtration - heating as you had before....

use old filter with old , dirty media to help cycle new tank....

chose your foot print - 4’,5’, or 6’ - width - what kind of fish or fishes will go inside ? you need the 6’ length or 2’ width that goes with the 4’x2’x2’ - 120...

id go 5’x2’ x

what does your local store carry? - i’ve never seen a 4’x2’x2’ for sale round these parts....

gl!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
With either one ( 4x2x2 or 6x18x22 ) you would be fine running a pair of hobs. I have a pair of AC110'S on a 6ft 125 with a 11in Amphilophus in it. Just keep up on the maintenance, I do one per week.

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
twice as much filtration - heating as you had before....

use old filter with old , dirty media to help cycle new tank....

chose your foot print - 4’,5’, or 6’ - width - what kind of fish or fishes will go inside ? you need the 6’ length or 2’ width that goes with the 4’x2’x2’ - 120...

id go 5’x2’ x

what does your local store carry? - i’ve never seen a 4’x2’x2’ for sale round these parts....

gl!
4x2x2 would be ideal(space wise). But I have a community tank now: ebjd, 3 Geo's, 6 clown loaches, 2 African brown knife fish, spine eel, baby peacock, endlicheri. They are all small under 5inches, besides endlicheri is pushing 7in. So I would just put those fish back in that tank, obviously gunna get rid of peacock soon bc it's started.to.grow an inch a day it seems like.
And I do have 3 baby ornate polypterus but they r like one inch and i.have them in a separate tank for now

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Just because you don't have any experience with canister filters does it mean you can't use them. I think you would be better off with an FX6 or if you want to go cheap get a Sunsun canister filter they are very cheap and hold a lot of media. It is better to over filter the tank. Can you get by with the hob probably but you will be much better off with a canister that you can put bio media in.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I really think you should spring for the 6 foot tank, your current stock will be very claustrophobic in a 4 footer in my opinion when they are all adults. It actually will be a bit much for even a 6' 125 eventually when you consider adult sizes of clown loaches, endlicheri. Not sure what Geo species you have but some get quite large. That will take some years for those fish to get big though.
And yes HOB filters are fine, though canisters are easy to figure out as well. I always "overfilter" when using HOBs because there tends to be less room for media. 2 aquaclear 110s would be OK. I wouldn't consider 2 60 gallon HOBs enough since you are on the heavier end of stocking.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Just because you don't have any experience with canister filters does it mean you can't use them. I think you would be better off with an FX6 or if you want to go cheap get a Sunsun canister filter they are very cheap and hold a lot of media. It is better to over filter the tank. Can you get by with the hob probably but you will be much better off with a canister that you can put bio media in.
Spend the extra on an fx6. Worth every penny. Run your hobs, add a fluval, good to go. The instructions are idiot proof. Great canisters.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Spend the extra on an fx6. Worth every penny. Run your hobs, add a fluval, good to go. The instructions are idiot proof. Great canisters.
I have 2 FX6 one on a 55 and one on my 40 gallon QT. They are great but I also had the Sunsun and it holds alot of media it just is not as ez to clean but for $100 it comes with a UV light too. Hard to beat depending on your budget.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I have 2 FX6 one on a 55 and one on my 40 gallon QT. They are great but I also had the Sunsun and it holds alot of media it just is not as ez to clean but for $100 it comes with a UV light too. Hard to beat depending on your budget.
The sun suns are cost effective. I have owned 3 over the years, all stopped working in 1-2 years. Still have 2 fluvals, 1 fx5 at least 8 yrs strong, 1 fx6 at least 5 yrs strong. Side note, I will never buy another hob or can, sumps forever!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store