New to Discus "Help need info"

Aaron68

Feeder Fish
Sep 23, 2007
Hollywood,CA
Hi all,

I want to buy a couple of Discus fish and I really do not know a whole lot about them. I read on the internet that you need to change their water every day. Is this true? I was hoping that once a month would be adequate. Please let me know on what I need to do before I buy them. I would not want them to die off. I have a 55 gal tank with 2 bio wheels and a 250 watt heater.

Thanks,

Aaron

wataugachicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Charlotte, NC
if you only want to change water once a month, i would recommend going into another hobby, regardles of whether you want discus or anything else. water changes are the most important part of keeping fish healthy.

kurtr12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2007
asdf
wataugachicken;1150268; said:
if you only want to change water once a month, i would recommend going into another hobby, regardles of whether you want discus or anything else. water changes are the most important part of keeping fish healthy.

Yeah, changing water shouldn't take you that much time either. People complain about how much water changes are needed for discus, but I do 50% water changes every other day on a 55g and I only spend about an hour and a half each week worth of time to do it. Just buy a python and you should be able to do adequate water changes.

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
I have 5 discus that are in with a large group of clown loaches and angel fish. And I only do a 25% water change every 10 days or so. I haven't had any problems, the discus are thriving and angel fish keep trying to breed.

The tank is a 180.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store