New to driftwood

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
Just picked up a lil piece of driftwood from store. I am starting a 10gal shrimp tank. I put sand as substrate. What do i do with the drift wood? Just let it sit in water for 24hours? Anything else? Or can i just take it out after like 12 hours?
Im sure its in a different forum but im new and still trying to figure it all out.
Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just picked up a lil piece of driftwood from store. I am starting a 10gal shrimp tank. I put sand as substrate. What do i do with the drift wood? Just let it sit in water for 24hours? Anything else? Or can i just take it out after like 12 hours?
Im sure its in a different forum but im new and still trying to figure it all out.
Thanks!
If it was purchased from your LFS just rinse it off if you like and place it where you want it.

Reactions: dr exum and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would place the wood in the tank and wait for it to sink. Could be 24hrs or longer. Had a piece take a week in a 10g. Depends on the piece but will eventually sink.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I usually like to boil even store bought driftwood. Kill most of what's on there but mainly to help reduce the tannins. It will be there still, but just helps reduce it. Some folks like it and fish dont care.

Reactions: Homer Siped

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
I usually like to boil even store bought driftwood. Kill most of what's on there but mainly to help reduce the tannins. It woll be there still, but just helps reduce it. Some folks like it and fish dont care.
Was funny when I put mine in, there was like 5 ants that came crawling out after about an hour. Them damn things are smart, they went and found small air bubbles and we're carrying them around with them.

Reactions: dr exum

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
I usually like to boil even store bought driftwood. Kill most of what's on there but mainly to help reduce the tannins. It will be there still, but just helps reduce it. Some folks like it and fish dont care.
What exactly is a tannin

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Tannins are what causes the water to turn brown like tea. I do not boil or rinse wood that goes into my tanks. The maple stump in my 55g went in soil remnants and all. The entire trunk is in the tank.
55g_Rack.jpg

Reactions: Drumm22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store