New to MFK but old school thought

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'm of the oppinion that it really depends on a lot of variables all of which were listed above basically. But a quick breakdown is
1. Water quality
2. Everyone healthy
3. Compatibility
4. your ability to make sure all the above stay on the "green" side.

Certian fish work "better" overcrowded then just under capacity so to speak. Or in other words its better to have to many then almost to many. African cichlids give them their space or crowd them in between is usually not good.

bh_aquatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
IG @bh_aquatic
It depends, what you’re used to, like and where you’re from. But personal I don’t like over stock tanks. I like one or two fish to display and a few bottom dwellers to steer the settlements. That’s my honest 2cent. I’ve tried 10-15 fishes in my 300g and it is just to much to look at. Not to mention the bio load. Currently I have a 640g and have 5 fish 23” aro and 4 bottom dwellers.

Btw, welcome aboard!
Pretty much my school of thought unless it’s a small army of schooling fish of the same species in a tank with crazy depth. But I agree it’s definitely a preference thing to a point... I only respect it when individuals are doing their water changes or a freshwater continuous drip or their filtration rivals a state aquarium...

bh_aquatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
IG @bh_aquatic
Welcome to the forum.

It's all personal preference really. If you can get a tank full of peaceful fish that get on and you don't mind putting the work in to keep your nitrates in check then why not?

My tanks are a little on the heavy side stocking wise but i'm willing to put the graft in to keep my water good.

Saying that though there was an old thread on here about super heavily stocked tanks, I mean absolutely rammed with huge fish. They seem to be, or at least were, i'm not sure whether they still are, popular in Asia. islandguy11 islandguy11 . Those type of tanks are way too much imo.
When I learn tanks in Asia the one thing I found to differ was it made me a clarity and filtration psycho. So allot of their over stocking is tolerated because they are draconian with water quality

Reactions: Jacob92677

bh_aquatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
IG @bh_aquatic
You have the Purist and Non Purist in the fishkeeping hobby. I personally don't like overstocking aquariums. Some species should and need adequate space for various reasons imo.
I guess I’m a centristic purist and agree..lol. But I do like a nice responsibility stocked tank as long as the filtration is heavy.

Reactions: tlindsey

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Omg...lol.. cichlids I arguably comprehend and guilty of in the past. The bottom one burns my wheels. But I don’t tank bash I worry about my own 539 gallons of strategic madness...
Well overstocking cichlids like that can help diffuse aggression which is why its done

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Welcome to the forum.

It's all personal preference really. If you can get a tank full of peaceful fish that get on and you don't mind putting the work in to keep your nitrates in check then why not?

My tanks are a little on the heavy side stocking wise but i'm willing to put the graft in to keep my water good.

Saying that though there was an old thread on here about super heavily stocked tanks, I mean absolutely rammed with huge fish. They seem to be, or at least were, i'm not sure whether they still are, popular in Asia. islandguy11 islandguy11 . Those type of tanks are way too much imo.
Imo most of the pix/vids you see of super-stocked tanks come from Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan (due to generally smaller abodes/space), so I'm personally not sure how common it is nowadays. Here in Thailand you don't see this so much. Also it's mostly well-off Thais who would keep monster fish, and they'd be more likely to keep them in ponds or large tanks, space isn't such an issue here (and costs for tanks are much less).

Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store