New to stingray....need some ideas please

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Hi everyone I'm new to stingray,
Can anyone help me to identify of this photo what kind is it

Is this a good quality one they are new born pup around 3 weeks now
My LFS mentioned this is Motoro x mantilla...agree???????
Thanks Help!!!

20210704_114328.jpg

20210704_114527.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Thanks Help!!!

View attachment 1465444

View attachment 1465445
Gpdriftwood Gpdriftwood
Matteus Matteus

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I personally don't see mantilla. Even with my mantilla hybrids, you can see clear characteristics of the mantilla blood. This looks like a run of the mill motoro with some extra spotting. Not to say it isn't a nice ray, but I'd personally grab the ray behind it with the rings and I wouldn't pay more for it under the pretense it is half mantilla if you are set on this one

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
I personally don't see mantilla. Even with my mantilla hybrids, you can see clear characteristics of the mantilla blood. This looks like a run of the mill motoro with some extra spotting. Not to say it isn't a nice ray, but I'd personally grab the ray behind it with the rings and I wouldn't pay more for it under the pretense it is half mantilla if you are set on this one
Thanks your reply, unfortunately this one is the last one available, 4 of them from same Mum ray, but look all a bit difference
If we just look on this one, is he looking healthy ?
LFS show me he is eating frozen bloodworm and he eat fine ,will to eat

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh

Thanks Help!!!

View attachment 1465444

View attachment 1465445
Looking at the pup in the back ground I was going to suggest motoro/mantilla. What Damascus Damascus was saying isn’t wrong, but if the pups all came from the same litter there is a chance of it being what it is labelled as. I have a friend who often breeds rays very similar to this mix and the pups often turn out like this. Some look like crazy hybrid patterns and others look just like a plain regular motoro.

as far as quality etc. It looks at first glance to be healthy. Make sure it is eating well, get them to feed it in front of you. And it could be a great ray to start with. I would encourage you to read the stickies in this section if you haven’t already. They are a great way to start. The only thing I would say to update on that is dr Ross has written another book under barons that is much more informative and up-to date than the Aqua logs.

good luck with your new journey if you decide to get this ray. I would suggest reading a fair bit before diving into it if you haven’t. Rays can be a big responsibility, but very rewarding creatures to care for.

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Looking at the pup in the back ground I was going to suggest motoro/mantilla. What Damascus Damascus was saying isn’t wrong, but if the pups all came from the same litter there is a chance of it being what it is labelled as. I have a friend who often breeds rays very similar to this mix and the pups often turn out like this. Some look like crazy hybrid patterns and others look just like a plain regular motoro.

as far as quality etc. It looks at first glance to be healthy. Make sure it is eating well, get them to feed it in front of you. And it could be a great ray to start with. I would encourage you to read the stickies in this section if you haven’t already. They are a great way to start. The only thing I would say to update on that is dr Ross has written another book under barons that is much more informative and up-to date than the Aqua logs.

good luck with your new journey if you decide to get this ray. I would suggest reading a fair bit before diving into it if you haven’t. Rays can be a big responsibility, but very rewarding creatures to care for.
I know frozen blood worm is good for this pup Ray to start with for grow.
Anything else can try to feed this size (3-4 inch disc) to have more variety nutrition
Should start pellet train now or later
Thanks everyone

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Anything else can try to feed this size (3-4 inch disc) to have more variety nutrition
Thanks everyone
Blood worms don’t really have much nutritional value, I fed my pearl pup bloodworms in the past regularly and it didn’t even grow in disc size besides it’s patterns. Try getting it on meats or pellets.

Reactions: Matteus and aykinhk

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thanks everyone
I only use blood worms if I am in a pinch and need to get it to eat something when they aren’t already eating something else. Also I will use blood worms to medicate fish when I add it to their food.

frozen shrimps, smelts, pellets, night crawlers are my typical go to for foods. Pellets are the ideal staple diet.

Reactions: aykinhk

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
I only use blood worms if I am in a pinch and need to get it to eat something when they aren’t already eating something else. Also I will use blood worms to medicate fish when I add it to their food.

frozen shrimps, smelts, pellets, night crawlers are my typical go to for foods. Pellets are the ideal staple diet.
Which pellet do you use ?? Hikari Sinking or something else
Thanks

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store