New to the hobby, need assistance

Cherrybomb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2022
So should i continue with the medication? Or should I just stop?

Should I raise the water level back? Or should just keep it at where it is right now? Or do I need to lower it further?

Any kind of assistance and guidance is much appreciated.

Many thanks to those who have showed concern as well as the welcomes.. I know my decision to pick up the aro was hasty nor was I expected that it be on recovery mode since day 1, but since the aro has already been brought home I wish i can provide the best care I could for it while learning.. Thanks

P/s: I read starving the aro helps with the recovery. Is this true?
[/QUOTE
How's it's appetite, I noticed that it's the first thing to go when something's not feeling well. I never heard of starving a fish to make it well. Personally I would think that it would need all the nutrients it could get to fight off any infection. But I've only had one aro, so hopefully he gets better either way. I also think that it was caused by physical trama (aggression) as opposed to fin rot.

Reactions: Caveden

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
What are the symptoms of a definite fin rot? I will monitor closely

The medication dosage I applied was 1/10th of the recommend dosage. The water just came out that green. Is there any particular reason why would the anal suddenly gets cut off and dangling like that? My tank has 0 decorations.

Our speculation was that he failed to sell the fish so he brought home instead later found out it won't grow so he put the fish back to his store. Covid regulations and lockdown, mco(movement control order) was pretty strict here in Malaysia for the past few years.

I said I was told the aro is a blue based not cross back blue based. Actually he didn't even tell me about it. I saw what he wrote on the receipt instead. ? No certificate or whatsoever was given to me.

Not sure if it was purposely cut off, but if it was aren't they suppose to remove the part where they cut instead leaving it there dangling?

Yes the water faded the next day, the water shown in the video is after the color faded. Water was a lot more green the day before.

Definitely will not use that guy anymore. Plus he has an attitude which I don't really like..

I am actually learning from my friend (the guy who introduced me to the seller) and getting advice from him. But the problem is, ppl here raise aro the "Kampung" style aka "village" style which literally means they don't do proper nitrogen cycle, nor do they test the water parameters etc and etc.. For example, just like how my grandma would trust her own remedy than modern medication but somehow you're cured and still alive.
Yah bro you should stop adding the medication, you didn’t even know what was wrong with it and you added the medicine haha.

Blue based IS blue based crossback. There’s no such thing as a blue based asian arowana. The owner just randomly wrote on the piece of paper it was a blue based?? He obviously has no idea what he’s talking about, don’t trust him.

yng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2022
Yah bro you should stop adding the medication, you didn’t even know what was wrong with it and you added the medicine haha.

Blue based IS blue based crossback. There’s no such thing as a blue based asian arowana. The owner just randomly wrote on the piece of paper it was a blue based?? He obviously has no idea what he’s talking about, don’t trust him.
Hmmm.. I only added the medication because my friend gave it to me after I told him about the fish's condition..

I thought Malaysian arowanas aka a kind Asian aros are the only blue based available? Malaysian fish stores are selling so many kinds of aros.. They have cross back golden blue based, then high back golden blue base then super high back golden blue base in the market.. I believe all these falls under MGBB (Malaysian Golden Blue Base)..Kindly correct me if I am wrong..

I bought other things as well.. At the back of the receipt was written, blue base x 1 then price.. That's all.. I wish I know what aro is that I have..

Ok I will stop the medication. Do I need to do a water change? Or do I need to topup the tank? Should I starve the aro like some gave said based on Google?

yng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2022
Oh my.. Oh my.. I was watching the video again then realize the dorsal fin doesn't seem right as well??

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Starving a fish doesn’t make it well. But not feeding a fish when it’s sick is advisable… your fish isn’t sick, it’s just tearing of the fins

Reactions: Cherrybomb

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That medication is probably acriflavine which will then water green. Malachite green will turn it blue.

At this point, regardless of what type of aro you got, it’s a nice pet your friend gave you.

Just do a bunch of water changes, fill the tank to the top, and keep the water very clean. Add some salt and feed the fish good food and it should recover on its own.

If you read not to feed your fish during treatment, that’s likely to keep water quality up and ammonia down. Just do lots of water changes to negate that.

If you’re not seeing improvements a week from now, then you can think about meds again. Perhaps an antibiotic.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fin rot symptoms are pretty much what it sounds like. The fins get white at the edge and start to slowly shrink as though it’s being eaten off.
Starving a fish is basically the worst thing you can do to help, I’m not sure where that info is or why someone would try that.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Bv,io , CA o uo
Fin rot symptoms are pretty much what it sounds like. The fins get white at the edge and start to slowly shrink as though it’s being eaten off.
Starving a fish is basically the worst thing you can do to help, I’m not sure where that info is or why someone would try that.
Could be a reason it's not doing well.

Reactions: Deadeye

Cherrybomb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2022
That medication is probably acriflavine which will then water green. Malachite green will turn it blue.

At this point, regardless of what type of aro you got, it’s a nice pet your friend gave you.

Just do a bunch of water changes, fill the tank to the top, and keep the water very clean. Add some salt and feed the fish good food and it should recover on its own.

If you read not to feed your fish during treatment, that’s likely to keep water quality up and ammonia down. Just do lots of water changes to negate that.

If you’re not seeing improvements a week from now, then you can think about meds again. Perhaps an antibiotic.
I thought methylene blue changes the water blue.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
It does. I was mixing up my meds. Achriflavine is green from the coal tar, malachite green has green crystals but but strangely turns water blue.
It’s achriflavine I was thinking of too as this is what I have used recently.
Not a fan at all of using meds, especially if the diagnosis is not entirely obvious but MB is a staple for fungus on eggs so I use this when trying to rear them myself.
Although wouldn’t use salt with an arrowana either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store